Chapter Sixteen. Chicago

Every morning after a night of drinking, you are bound to wake up to a bad headache. I groan and turn to my side and I feel a body beside me. I let my hand move till I feel skin: Adrian.

He moves and my hand has much more to touch. "How are you feeling?" He asks.

At the sound of his voice, the memories of last night flood my head, how he had completely disregarded me and said words that stung, words that got me at the brink of tears. I pull my hand from his body and get up from the bed in a rush -not the best idea- desperate to get away from him.

The pounding in my head only gets worse and I sway to the side unable to get myself together. "Babe slow down."

I don't respond, only walking away from him and to the bathroom. I notice that I'm in one of his T-shirts and I don't waste time to get it off of my body. I don't remember taking off my dress or shoes last night so he must have done so for me when he finally got back to the suite.

I'm so pissed off with him that the idea of him undressing me last night makes my skin crawl. I'm so annoyed, annoyed to my bones and I feel like saying cruel and vile things to him to make him feel how he had made me feel last night. I'm going to ignore his entire existence just like he had done last night.

I stop short when I remember one detail. Today is his birthday and I have so much planned for him already.

Fuck.

I groan and drop my hands from my hair. What is the time? His first surprise of the day should be here by eight and though I'm angry with him, if the element of surprise doesn't work then all my effort yesterday would be in vain.

I quickly finish washing my hair and scrubbing my body before rushing out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped on my chest. Adrian is nowhere to be found in the bedroom meaning he's in the living room or the balcony.

I reach for my phone sitting on the night stand and check the time. 7:55. I don't have time. I hurriedly put on a pair of jeans and a purple shirt. My hair is still wet when I comb it out so I let it fall over my shoulders. Since I don't have the time for makeup I just use powder and lip gloss and rush out of the room. I spot Adrian in the balcony and I sigh I'm relief, he won't see me panting as if I just ran a marathon.

Just them the doorbell rings and I rush to it. When I open the door it's the surprise I had planned out. I usher them in and the violinist starts playing, her team walking behind her. They're just five of them: the violinist, one person holding the cake, another holding the package I had gotten for him, one with a video camera and the last one with a photo camera.

Adrian comes into the living room from the balcony and the surprise on his face is evident. He definitely wasn't expecting this. He smiles and locks gazes with me. I push my anger with him to the side and walk towards him, letting him pull me to his side.

"Happy birthday love," I say and get on my tip toes to kiss him.

The kiss is short and when we pull away the smile on his face is so wide. "Thank you," he says when the violinist stops playing. He looks down at me. "Thank you," he kisses me again, this time with more passion.

I turn to the team that helped put this together. "Thank you guys." I smile at them and help the person holding the cake set it on the dining table.

They all wish Adrian a happy birthday before walking out of the room. When they're finally out I keep my gaze on Adrian.

"Babe," he starts, his eyes sad. "I'm really sorry about last night and to think you'd still go on with this for me this morning."

A frown takes over my lips. It's his birthday and my first surprise for him is over, we might as well iron our shit out before it spoils our mood for the rest of the day. It's his birthday.