Chapter Twenty Two. Chicago

It sure is nice to sit at a table and eat with the people you consider family, both the ones you are yet to make a family with and the one you already have. As we ate dinner, we chatted, laughed and shared stories about parts of our lives.

It was refreshing to have a conversation with my mum without me glaring at her in five minutes, I believe it is because Adrian's mum is here.

"I'm moving here, permanently." Aunt Destiny says and everyone on the table freezes, trying to process what she just said.

Adrian drops his fork back on his plate. "What did you say?"

His mum laughs. "I'm moving here, permanently."

My mum gasps, causing all of us to turn to her now. "Is it because of Tyrell?"

If I was in shock from what Adrian's mum said earlier, with this, I'm almost dead. Who the fuck is Tyrell?

Adrian's mum face palms herself and my mum pulls her lips to a thin line, realizing what she had just done. Obviously this Tyrell guy was supposed to be a secret.

"I'm sorry," mum chews on her bottom lips nervously, her eyes fixed on Adrian's mum, waiting for her to say something.

"Mum who is Tyrell?" Adrian questions, now looking at his mum and I have no other choice but to look at her too, the spotlight back on her.

"He's..." She pauses to take a sip of her water before continuing. "Someone I'm seeing."

"Someone you're seeing?" Adrian sits back in his seat, his lips pulled to a thin line. I can't read his face so I can't tell what he's really feeling. "How do you know him?"

"He owns a hospital, the hospital that I applied to work here." Aunt Destiny is obviously nervous and I don't blame her, anyone would be, I'm sure this wasn't how she wanted to tell her son that she's seeing someone.

"That still doesn't explain how you guys met." Adrian pushes and I can tell he's desperate for answers like the rest of us.

Aunt Destiny closes her eyes and sighs before opening them. "The last time I visited, I heard they were hiring so I went there myself to check it out and ask questions, that was how I met him. I didn't know he was the owner until after I applied and got the job and that was when I found out he was the one."

"Were you ever going to tell me?" Adrian's voice is filled with hurt and slight anger.

"I was, we were waiting for the perfect time. I was thinking dinner, all of us." She looks at all of us and I offer her a smile when her eyes meet mine and she smiles back at me.

I am genuinely happy for her, she deserves the best.

Adrian nods. "So he owns the hospital you're about to start working in?" Adrian asks but it sounds more like a statement. His mum nods in response and Adrian pushes the hair in his face backward. "Is he black?"

His mum slowly shakes her head and Adrian chuckles. "You do like the white guys."

I let out a small laugh at this and Adrian turns to me. I reach for his hand on the table and squeeze it lightly, he smiles at me.

"As long as you're happy mum." He looks back at his mum, his hand still in mine. "I pray he doesn't turn out like my father."

"I pray so too." Her shoulders drop in relief. I'm sure it is any single mother or father's wish for their child to approve of the person they are dating. "When should we have him over?"

"Whenever you guys are ready." Adrian picks his fork again, pulling his hand from mine.

We all go back to eating and when we're all done, Adrian gets up first and I decide to bring up my birthday.