Chapter Thirty Eight. Chicago

The skin under the bandage wrapped around my stomach itches and I've never been more eager to get it off. I've been forced to live with it for about two weeks now. I'm aware that there is a scar there but as much as I don't want to look down there and see the scar every day, I'd pick it over the bandage.

The doctor slowly takes off the bandage and the rush of cool air that hits my skin makes me to shudder. That felt good though.

"There you go," the doctor smiles at me.

"Finally." I say and everyone in the room laughs: the doctors, two nurses and Adrian.

The nurses clean up the spot and when they're done, one of them helps me get dressed before she leaves Adrian and I alone in the room.

He stands up from the chair he has been sitting on ever since and comes to sit with me at the edge of the bed.

"Are you ready?" He takes my hand from my laps, securing them between his.

I nod. "More than ready."

"Let's go then, Riya is getting impatient." He says and I laugh.

I haven't seen anyone but Adrian since yesterday night. It looks like they have a little party or something to welcome me back home.

I spent most of my days in this hospital decorating my new home from the hospital bed. Thanks to my mother I trusted that everything would turn out well.

When we announced that Adrian proposed, Riya was ecstatic. It was well anticipated but she still couldn't hold her excitement. Drew has known ever since, apparently, he was there when Adrian purchased the ring.

On our way out of the hospital, the nurses and doctors keep waving us goodbye to the point that I get tired. It's not every day you meet someone that has escaped death more times than they can count.

With the involvement of the police, the news spread like wildfire, causing the hospital to be on the spotlight. Adrian, Riya and Drew reported that the few times they went back to the house, they met a few reporters there. Of course, they said nothing to them, respecting my privacy.

Report from Nigeria said that Seyi got out of jail early because of good behavior but we all know that it's a big fat lie. Obviously he pulled a few strings so he could get out and fly out of the country. None of us were surprised.

Adrian helps me settle in the passenger's seat, not failing to help me with my seat belt too. I mutter a 'thank you' just before he closes the door and makes his way to the driver's side.

"I'm hungry." I say when the car starts moving.

Adrian laughs. "There's food at home."

"I know but let's make a quick stop at Chick-Fil-A, I want to eat chicken." I say and Adrian only laughs harder.

"There's chicken at home. Just say you want to eat fast food." He places his hand on my thigh and I suck in a breath.

"I want to eat fast food." I admit.

"The last thing I need is Riya too shoot me. She took her time cooking since yesterday, if we show up with fast food, she won't like it." He speaks reason and I sink into my seat, defeated.

"How's the wedding prep going? I've missed so much already." Their wedding is in less than two weeks and sadly I've missed more than half of the preparations.

"It's going well," Adrian answers, his hand still firm on my lap despite his obvious need to drive with both hands." Did I tell you? Jo and her fiancé are around."

I sharply turn to him. "Jo has a fiancé?"

Jo is a friend of ours from College. Jo was dating another friend of our Ayo but after college they broke up and Jo left Nigeria in search of imperfection or whatever she called it. Last we spoke, she was settling down. I knew she was seeing someone but they were always off and on, it's hard to keep track.