Adrian. Chapter Thirty Six

I rush into the room and sigh in relief when I find Seyi dead on the floor, blood pouring out of his head and slowly flooding the room. I look up to find uncle Jaxon by the side of Funke's bed holding a gun in his hand. The gun drops to the ground with a loud clatter.

I hear Victoria gasp behind me and from my peripheral vision I see Andrew rush to her side and cover her eyes before dragging her out of the room.

I rush to Funke's side to see that she is still sleeping. I scan her body for any scars but find nothing.

"She passed out." Uncle Jaxon says and I look at him.

His clothes are in a disarray and it's obvious he was in a serious hand to hand combat with Seyi who definitely didn't go down without a fight.

"Thank you." I say and he nods.

The nurses and doctors rush into the room. We're asked to move out of the room while they check her vitals. However, we remain standing at the entrance of the room which is still wide open.

"What happened?" A doctor asks.

"I walked in to find him," uncle Jaxon points to the lifeless body of Seyi. "Pointing a gun at her, she was awake. I tackled him and by the time I shot him, she had already passed out" he explains.

"How the hell did he get out of jail and on a plane to Chicago?" I ask causing the room to go silent, save for the incessant beeping of the machines Funke is connected to.

"How is she?" Uncle Jaxon asks to fill up the silence.

"She's stable. Her heart rate went up just before she passed out so it has to be because of the shock. She should wake up any moment from now. We are going to move her to another room now." The doctor explains and I nod.

When we step to the side, we're greeted by police officers. They take their time questioning all of us and by the time the crime scene is cleared and uncle Jaxon is taken into custody, it is night time. I haven't seen Funke since because the police officers hurled us away from her but Riya and Andrew told me that she has woken up and is waiting for me.

We're yet to find out how Seyi got to Chicago and found our address to deliver the note. Everything has happened so quickly that I barely have time to register it in my head.

The good news though is: Seyi is dead. I'd have preferred if he was dead a long time ago and saved us all of this mess but I guess I'll take what I have.

"Thank you for your cooperation, we will keep in touch for any updates." The detective who was drilling me says and stands to his feet.

I follow suit and shake his hand when he offers it.

"What about Jaxon?" I ask.

"As soon as we're able to get a statement from your girlfriend, the faster we can release him since it was self-defense." He says with a nod before walking away.