Chapter Eight. Chicago

The moment I stepped into the house, I could hear their voices, loud and angry

The moment I stepped into the house, I could hear their voices, loud and angry. I had no idea what they were quarrelling about but it sounded serious. I didn't want to interfere and incur their wrath on myself so as quietly as possible I made my way to my room.

My luck ran out when I couldn't control the way my door slammed shut, it was loud.

"Funke is that you?" I heard Uncle Jaxon ask.

I groaned, angry with myself that I couldn't stay quiet. I opened the door and stepped out of the room. "Yes. I didn't want to disturb you guys." I looked between him and mum. Mum was standing by her room door and Uncle Jaxon was somewhere in between our rooms.

His dreadlocks were all over the place, his t-shirt was barely covering his chest, and obviously he wore it in a hurry. He was wearing black Nike shorts and his feet were bare. Mum on the other hand just had her blanket pressed to her chest and it flowed down to the floor. What happened?

"Oh," Uncle Jaxon made his way to me while adjusting his shirt. "Sorry, your mum and I were just talking."

"What happened?" I didn't know if I should be concerned about both of them or not. "I heard you shouting at each other."

"Your mum and I were just talking." He stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. "Sorry you had to hear us shouting like that," he smiled apologetically. "It won't happen again." He opened his arms for a hug. "Come here."

I stepped into his embrace, just happy that all was well. He kissed my forehead when we pulled away from the hug. "How was school?"

"The same," I shrugged.

"Did that boy, Adrian, disturb you still?"

I groaned at the thought of him. Adrian, a boy in my class, he keeps looking at me and it is annoying. "Yes." I frowned.

Uncle Jaxon only laughed. "How about tomorrow, you tell him to stop looking at you in class?"

"You know I'm shy," I sat on the bed beside him.

"No, take a shower first and change before you get on the bed, I've told you this how many times?" He pushed me to stand up from the bed. "Then you have to overcome your shyness, if not he won't stop looking at you and disturbing you."

I frowned because I knew that I could never do that, I was too shy to talk to anyone in my class. I didn't have any friends in class like the rest of my classmates, only a few people that I spoke to once in a while. No one wanted to be my friend because they thought I was weird because of my two different eye color and my hair.

Most times in class I would hear them talk about me and say mean things. I didn't know if they deliberately said it to my hearing or not but it hurt every time. I've gotten used to being alone and unwanted so Adrian looking at me is weird to me and a major disturbance. I think it's because he's a new student in the class so he doesn't know how things around here work, he doesn't know that no one gives me attention for more than necessary.

Uncle Jaxon only laughed when I couldn't respond and got up from the bed. "Shower and come down for food."

"Okay," I nodded and watched him walk out of the room.

I did as I was told, showered and changed to more comfortable clothes then went downstairs. I could hear their voices again, they were shouting at themselves. Lately it was getting worse and it was starting to annoy me.

"What are you talking about Dianne? You can't just tell me to leave!" Was Uncle Jaxon leaving? What exactly is going on?

"I can and you will." Mum responded.

I walked into the kitchen, walking straight to Uncle Jaxon while looking at my mother suspiciously. Does she want Uncle Jaxon to leave?

He began to untie the bun that my hair was in and I sighed in relief when he was done, my hair falling over my shoulders. "Are you leaving?" I asked him.

He looked at my mum then back at me. "No I'm not." He seemed to be talking to mum at the moment. He bent down slightly so we were around the same height. "I'm not going anywhere. Now do you want to go out to eat?"

I held unto his words. "Yes please." I grinned at the idea of eating outside.

If only I knew that he was going to go back on his words, if only I knew.