Chapter Five

*narrators pov*
The guardians of the galaxy were listening to music in their jet, responding to a distress signal.
Rocket yawned and asked "why are we doing this again?"
"It's a distress signal Rocket" Gamora replied in annoyance. "Someone could be dying."
"I get that. But why are we doing it?"
"Cause we're nice. And maybe whoever it is will give us a little cheddar cheese for our help" Quill smirked.
"Which isn't the point" Gamora said.
"Which isn't the point" Quill repeated. "I mean... if he doesn't pony up..."
"We'll take his ship" Drax said.
"Exactly!" Rocket grinned.
"Bingo!" Quill exclaimed.
Gamora rolled her eyes at them.
"We are arriving" Mantis spoke up.
"All right, Guardians. Don't forget, this might be dangerous, so let's put on our mean faces" Quill nodded, and he looked at Groot who was playing a video game. "Groot, put that thing away. Now. I don't wanna tell you again. Groot."
"I am Groot" he mocked.
"Woah!"
"Language!"
"Hey!"
"Wow!"
"You got some acorns on you, kid" Quill remarked.
"Ever since you got your little sap, you're a total d-hole. Keep it up, and I'm gonna smash that thing to pieces!" Rocket threatened.
Groot rolled his eyes as he continued to play his game.
"What happened?" Mantis asked.
The guardians looked out the front of the ship, and they could see broken parts of a ship, and several floating Asgardian bodies.
"Oh my god" Quill whispered.
"Looks like we're not getting paid" Rocket sighed.
Suddenly, a body hit the window.
"Wipers! Wipers! Get it off!" Rocket cried.
Thor opened his eye.
The guardians exchanged confused glances at each other, before bringing him inside.
He had fallen unconscious again, and was lying on a table.
"How the hell is this dude still alive" Quill wondered.
"He is not a dude. You're a dude. This... This is a man. A handsome, muscular man" Drax nodded.
"I'm muscular" Quill objected.
"Who are you kidding, Quill? You're one sandwich away from fat" Rocket sighed.
"Yeah, right."
"It's true" Drax agreed. "You have gained a little weight."
"What?" Quill said. "Gamora, do you think I'm..."
Gamora ignored him, staring closely at Thor.
Mantis put her hand on Thor's head.
"He is anxious, angry, he feels tremendous loss and guilt" she said.
"It's like a pirate had a baby with an angel" Drax admired.
"Wow" Quill said. "This is a real wake-up call for me. Okay. I'm gonna get a Bowflex. I'm gonna commit. I'm gonna get some dumbbells."
"You know you can't eat dumbbells right" Rocket said.
"It's like his muscles are made of Cotati metal fibers" Gamora ran her hand up Thor's arm.
"Stop massaging his muscles" Quill spoke, and Gamora dropped Thor's arm. "Wake him up" Quill told Mantis.
She put her hand on his head again, and her antenna glowed as she said "wake."
Thor sat up and yelled. He got off the table and ran forward. He was panting heavily.
"No... y/n... no I'm sorry..."
"Who?" Quill asked.
Thor turned slowly to face the guardians, all pointing weapons at him.
"Who the hell are you guys?"
———
Thor and the guardians became acquainted, and Thor told them what happened after they gave him some food.
"The entire time I knew Thanos, he only ever had one goal" Gamora sighed. "To bring balance to the universe by wiping out half of all life. He used to kill people planet by planet, massacre by massacre."
"Including my own" Drax interrupted.
"If he gets all six infinity stones..." Gamora continued. "He can do it with the snap of his fingers like this." She snapped her fingers.
Thor was sitting in a blanket snacking on soup.
"You seem to know a great deal about Thanos" he said.
"Gamora is the daughter of Thanos" Drax informed.
Thor looked up at her, and Gamora looked down shamefully.
"Your father killed my siblings" Thor stood and walked over to her.
"Oh boy" Quill said. "Stepfather, technically. And she hates him as much as you do."
Thor stood facing Gamora. He put an arm on her shoulder.
"Families can be tough. Before my father died, he told me that I had a half-sister that he imprisoned in Hel. And then she returned home and stabbed me in the eye. So I had to kill her. That's life, though, isn't it I guess. Goes round and round and... I feel your pain."
Quill stepped between them.
"I feel your pain as well, because, I mean it's not a competition, but I've been through a lot" Quill argued. "My father killed my mother..."
Thor slurped his soup noisily.
"And then I had to kill my father" Quill carried on. "That was hard."
Rocket rolled his eyes.
"Probably even harder than having to kill a sister. Plus I came out with both my eyes which was..."
"I need a hammer not a spoon" Thor interrupted him. He walked away from them and waved his spoon at the door. "How do I open this thing? Is there some sort of, uh, a four digit code, maybe? Maybe a birthdate."
"Uh, what are you doing?" Rocket questioned.
"Taking your pod" Thor answered.
Quill coughed, clearing his throat.
"No you're not" he deepened his voice. "You will not be taking our pod today sir."
"Uh, Quill, are you making your voice deeper" Rocket asked.
"No."
"You are. You're imitating the god-man. It's weird" Drax said.
"No I'm not" Quill denied.
"He just did it again" Mantis gasped and pointed.
"This is my voice" Quill argued.
Thor stepped towards him threateningly.
"Are you mocking me?" Thor asked.
"Are you mocking me?" Quill repeated back to him.
"Stop it. You did it again."
"He's trying to copy me."
"I need you to stop doing that..."
"Enough!" Gamora declared.
"He's doing it first" Thor objected.
"We need to stop Thanos. Which means we need to find out where he's going next."
"Knowhere."
"He must be going somewhere" Mantis said.
"No. No. Knowhere?" Quill questioned, using his normal voice. "It's a place. We've been there. It sucks... excuse me that's our food."
"Not anymore" Thor said as he rifled through their fridge.
"Thor" Gamora said. "Why would he go to Knowhere?"
"Because for years, the reality stones been safely stored there with a man called the Collector."
"If it's with the Collector then it's not safe" Quill mentioned. "Only an idiot would give that man a stone."
"Or a genius" Thor said.
"How do you know he's not going for one of the other stones?" Gamora asked.
"There are six stones out there. Thanos already has the power stone because he stole it last week when he decimated Xandar. He stole the space stone from me, when he destroyed my ship and slaughtered half my people. The time and mind stones are safe on earth. They're with the avengers."
"The avengers?"
"Earths mightiest heroes."
"Like Kevin Bacon?"
"He may be on the team. I don't know. I haven't been there in a while. As for the soul stone, well, no one's ever seen that. No one even knows where it is. Therefore Thanos can't get it. Therefore he's going to Knowhere. Hence he'll be getting the reality stone. You're welcome."
"Then we have to go to Knowhere now" Gamora decided.
"Wrong. Where we have to go is Nidavellir" Thor said.
"That's a made up word" Drax argued.
"All words are made up" Thor sighed.
"Nidavellir is real? Seriously? I mean, that place is a legend. They make the most powerful, horrific weapons to ever torment the Universe. I would very much like to go there, please" Rocket inputted.
"The rabbit is correct, and clearly the smartest among you."
"Rabbit?"
"Only Eitri the dwarf can make me the weapon I need. I assume you're the captain, sir?" Thor asked Rocket.
"You're very perceptive" Rocket nodded.
"You seem like a noble leader. Will you join me on my quest to Nivadellir?"
"Lemme just ask the captain. Wait a second, it's me! Yeah, I'll go."
"Wonderful."
———
Thor, Rocket and Groot were on their way to Nidavellir.
Thor was staring out a window sadly.
"Okay. Time to be the captain" Rocket sighed. He walked over to Thor and prepared to console him.
"So, dead brother, huh? That can be annoying."
"Well, he's been dead before, but this time I think it really might be true. And... my sister..."
"The one that took your eye?"
"No. I had another. Y/n. She was on the ship when it exploded. I- I promised our brother I'd keep her safe and protect her. But I go and lose her moments after he passes. And the last memory we have together, I upset her. Treating her like our father did before he died."
"So your brother, sisters, and dad..."
"All dead."
"You still got a mom, though?"
"Killed by a dark elf."
"A best friend?"
"Stabbed through the heart."
"Are you sure you're up to this particular murder mission?"
"Absolutely. Rage, vengeance, anger, loss, regret...They're all tremendous motivators. They really clear the mind. So I'm good to go."
"Yeah, but this Thanos we're talking about...He's the toughest there is."
"Well, he's never fought me."
"Yeah he has."
"He's never fought me twice. And I'm getting a new hammer, don't forget."
"Better be some hammer."
"You know, I'm 1,500 years old. I've killed twice as many enemies as that, and every one would have rather killed me, but none succeeded. I'm only alive because fate wants me alive. Thanos is the latest in a long line of morons and he will be the latest to feel my vengeance."
"And what if you're wrong?"
"If I'm wrong then... what more could I lose?"