Chapter Twenty-Nine

*narrator pov*
Two shots fired.
One from the man, one through the window.
You and Selby fell to the floor.
Selby dead, but you were still alive.
You had managed to use your power to stop the bullet leaving the gun just in time.
Bucky launched himself at the man, and tackled the gun off him.
You crawled on the floor and grabbed your phone from where you had dropped it.
"Hey uh Pete I'm gonna have to call you back" you whispered.
"Y/n wait! I heard a gun! What's going on? Are you okay?"
"Peter I'm fine. I'll call you back later. Love you" you said and didn't wait for a response before hanging up.
Bucky knocked out the man, then walked over to help you up.
"Thanks" you smiled, then kissed him quickly on the cheek. He took your hand and headed for the door.
"How are you still alive?" Zemo asked, following you.
"He missed" you lied.
"He had the gun right up to your head" Zemo pointed out.
"He must have really bad aim then."
"But-"
"We have bigger problems!" Bucky interrupted.
"They're gonna pin this on us" Sam said.
"Okay. We have a real problem now" Zemo sighed. "So leave your weapons and follow my lead."
Zemo grabbed your hand again, and dragged you out the building.
When you were outside, you noticed everyone's phone's chiming around you, and they all looked at you.
"Guys..." you said.
"This is not good" Zemo declared.
Suddenly, people started firing at you.
"Shit!" Sam shouted.
Bucky grabbed your arm and pulled you away from Zemo, and you ran away from the gunfire.
"I can't run in these heels!" Sam complained.
"You'll get used to it!" you yelled at him.
Motorbikes started following you, and you ran down an alleyway.
The people shooting at you randomly started to fall to the floor behind you.
You noticed an open window from which someone else was shooting at them, covering you.
"You seem to have a guardian angel" Zemo remarked, walking over to you and Bucky.
Bucky stepped in front of you.
"It's over now. You don't go anywhere near her" Bucky warned.
"Well this is too perfect" someone said from behind Zemo.
"Who's that? Who are you?" you asked.
A woman walked out the shadows and pointed a gun.
"Drop it Zemo."
"Sharon?" Bucky asked, edging towards her.
"You cost me everything."
"Sharon, wait" Sam said. "Someone recreated the super-soldier serum and Zemo has a lead."
"That explains why you guys are here. And Selby's dead."
"So what are you doing here?" Bucky asked.
"I stole Steve's shield, remember?"
"Steve?" you questioned.
"I also took the wings for your ass, so that you could save his ass from his ass" Sharon pointed between the three boys. "I didn't have the Avengers to back me up. So, I'm off the grid in Madripoor."
"The avengers? Will someone tell me what's going on!" you begged. They continued to ignore you.
"Don't blow that smoke at me. I was on the run, too."
"Was. Is. Big difference. I don't speak to my family anymore. I can't. My father doesn't know where I am..."
"Oh my god! Boohoo!" you cried.
The others finally paid attention to you.
"Y/n..." Bucky said.
"Who are you?" Sharon pointed the gun at you.
"That's such a pathetic sob story. You're family is mad at you! What a shame!"
"Y/n shut up" Bucky warned.
"Wait until they're actually dead! See how that feels!"
"Y/n!" Bucky yelled.
"Stop ignoring me! I just want to know what's going on and who the hell this is! Is that too much to ask?"
Sharon cocked her gun.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't shoot her right now."
"Go ahead! Shoot me! I dare you!"
"No!" Bucky and Sam yelled.
"Listen, Sharon we need your help" Bucky stepped in front of you, and you laughed angrily.
You turned to walk away, and Bucky was too busy talking to Sharon to notice.
Zemo followed you.
"Are you okay my love?"
"Drop the act Zemo."
"I think you could do better than James."
"Don't even go there."
"I'm just saying, you're too good for him" Zemo said, placing a hand comfortingly on your arm.
"Don't touch me."
"It's okay princess."
"Don't call me that."
"Princess?"
You swung a punch at Zemo's face, causing him to fall to the floor.
Before he could get up, you kicked him in the stomach.
You let him stand up, and went to punch him again.
"Y/n" Bucky grabbed you. "Come on, we're going to Sharon's."
"Oh goodie" you cried sarcastically.
Bucky put his arm around you to walk you to Sharon's car, and whispered in your ear. "Stop causing problems. Or you're going home."
"Right. I'm the problem."
"Doll, what's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Then why are you in a mood?"
"I'm not."
"Fine. Be mad at me... for no reason."
"Whatever" you groaned and pushed Bucky's arm off your shoulder.
You went back to Sharon's place, which seemed large and expensive.
"Looks like breaking all those laws is treating you well" Sam remarked.
"I thought if I had to hustle, I might as well enjoy the life of a real hustler... you know how much I'll get for a real Monet."
"Easy. Deactivate your hustle mode. You sell fake Monets."
"No she means real" Zemo interrupted. "This gallery is specialised in stolen artwork. Monet. Van Gogh. Classics."
"It's true. You know, half the artwork in museums like the Louvre is fake. Real stuff sits in places like this" Bucky commented.
"Okay guys I see what you're doing. You're more worldly than good old Sam."
"Yeah. What's google say?"
"No shit."
"You guys need to change" Sharon called. "I'm hosting clients in an hour."
"Change into what?" you asked.
"Just follow me."
Sharon took the guys to a room with clothes for them, then took you to her own room so you could pick from her clothes.
"Don't dress like a slut" Sharon sighed.
"I'm picking from your clothes" you reminded her.
Sharon closed the door behind her, and you changed into some tight jeans and a crop top.
You went to find the guys, and Bucky was rifling through clothes, shirtless. You leaned in the doorway to watch.
Sharon entered through another door and smiled at your boyfriend.
"Much better" she grinned.
"What's going on Sharon?" Sam asked. "You don't ever wanna come back home?"
"They'll lock me up if I step foot back in the States. Madripoor doesn't allow extradition."
"Look I'm sorry I didn't call. But after the Blip and the chaos, I just..."
"Look you know the whole hero thing is a joke right? I mean the way you gave up that shield, deep down you must know it's all hypocrisy."
"He knows" Zemo added. "And not so deep down."
"By the way, how is the new Cap?"
"He's a piece of shit" you properly stepped into the room and sat down in a chair.
"Yeah don't get me started" Bucky agreed, sitting on a couch.
"Oh please. You buy into all that stars and striped bullshit" Sharon said, sitting down on the couch next to Bucky. "Before you were his pet psychopath, you were Mr America! Cap's best friend."
Sharon grinned teasingly, and put an arm round Bucky's shoulder.
You glared at her angrily.
"Wow. She's kind of awful now" Bucky said, but didn't move her arm.
You stared at Bucky as Sam and Sharon talked about the serum.
Bucky eventually noticed, and stared back.
You tilted your head slightly as you made eye contact.
"They cleared the bionic staring machine, and he killed almost everybody he's met" Sam was explaining to Sharon.
"I heard that" Bucky said without taking his eyes off you.
"I don't trust charity" Sharon said.
"All right, a deal then" Sam suggested. "You help us out, and I get your name cleared."
Sharon paused, but agreed and shook Sam's hand.
She drank from her glass, then got up to leave.
"Well I sell to some pretty connected people. Lay low, blend in, enjoy the party. Try to stay outta trouble. I'll see what I can find."
Sharon left.
You stood up to get a drink, but Bucky stood up in front of you.
He grabbed your waist and pulled you, then leaned closer and gave you a kiss.
You didn't stop frowning.
"What's wrong baby?" he asked softly.
"Oh so you're gonna talk to me now that she's gone?"
"That's what you're mad about?"
"Well I don't know! But when she was here, I was apparently invisible to you!"
"You're being ridiculous. I was focusing on the mission. I told you, you can go home."
"You'd like that wouldn't you" you pushed past him to get your drink.
"Y/n..."
"What?"
Bucky hugged you from behind and kissed your cheek. You rolled your eyes and sipped your drink.
———
The party started, and you made yourself comfortable behind the bar. The other bartenders didn't seem to care as you helped yourself to drinks, as long as you were occasionally serving the others.
You watched Bucky walking through the crowd with Sam, and Zemo came to sit at the bar in front of you.
"What do you want?" you asked.
"A drink" he smirked.
"Right."
"Can I-"
You handed him a beer before he could ask for his own choice.
"Thank you" he nodded.
You looked over his shoulder at where Bucky went to talk to Sharon.
Sharon put down her iPad and started to dance with him, as they started to discuss what they found out.
You shook your head at him as you finished a glass of water - you knew better than to get drunk right now.
"What's wrong?" Zemo asked.
"Nothing" you lied, staring at Bucky.
"I know what could distract you."
"And what's that?"
"We could dance."
"I'm busy."
"You know you don't actually have a job here."
"Fine."
You jumped onto the bar and swung your legs over.
Zemo took your hand and you walked with him to the middle of the dance floor.
Zemo started dancing, and you stood with your hand on your hip watching him.
"Join me?" he offered out his hand.
You looked over at where Bucky was still with Sharon.
You took Zemo's hand out of anger, and started to dance with him.
Zemo twirled you around and pulled you close to him to whisper to you "I know you're using me to make him jealous... but I don't mind" he smirked.
He wrapped his arms around your back, and his hands got lower.
You stopped him just before he could grab your ass, and moved his hands back up to hold your waist.
"Don't push it" you warned as you put your hands on his shoulders.
"Y/n stop." Bucky was now standing next to you.
"I'm dancing."
"I said stop."
"Will you dance with me?"
"No."
"Then no."
"Y/n we found Nagel. We're leaving."
"Fine" you let go of Zemo and pushed past Bucky to walk with Sam instead.
Bucky and Zemo faced each other.
Zemo opened his mouth to say something, but Bucky punched his jaw before he had the chance.