Chapter Seventeen

*narrator pov*
Bucky finished dinner with the others then came up to your bedroom.
You had been sitting with your knees held up to your chin but when you heard footsteps on the stairs, you lay down and quickly pulled the duvet over your head.
The door opened and the footsteps approached your bed.
Bucky climbed in next to you and pulled the covers down to your shoulders, revealing your face.
"Y/n" Bucky whispered.
"She's sleeping" you replied.
"Y/n, honey?"
You groaned and rolled over so your back was facing him.
"What's wrong? Are you mad at me?"
"No I'm not mad at you baby."
"Talk to me then."
You rolled back over in bed and stared at him. You didn't say anything.
He put his hand gently on your cheek and brushed your hair behind your ear.
You looked at him mourning-fully.
"What's up doll?"
"I haven't... processed things."
"What do you mean?"
"Bucky I mean I woke up this morning for the first time since the day when I thought I was going to kill myself."
"But you're okay now. It's over. Everything's fine."
"Everything is not fine..." you paused for a minute. "I used to go shopping with Nat."
Bucky frowned, instantly regretting what he said.
"She'd spend time doing my hair and my makeup, cause I couldn't figure out how to do it... and then we'd go shopping together sometimes... and now she's gone."
"I'm sorry. We don't have to go shopping if you don't want to."
"No I- I just miss her."
"So you still want to go shopping?"
"I don't know. Don't you think it's a little strange that Tony is throwing a party while the world is probably still recovering?"
"It's Tony Stark. He'd throw a party if the world was still ending."
"Hm. That may be a bit of a stretch."
"You wanna go?"
"Yeah, okay we'll go. I guess Tony would want us there."
"But do you want to be there?"
"I don't know. It feels wrong, but I guess it's moving on... acceptance or some shit."
"Acceptance?" Bucky looked confused.
"Yeah. We just gotta accept that life will go on I guess."
"Is that a problem?"
"Bucky I can't just forget the things I did."
"What are you talking about?"
"What do you mean what am I talking about?"
"What things did you do that you can't just forget about?"
You sat up in bed.
"Are you kidding me right now?"
Bucky sat up next to you, leaning against the headboard.
"What things, y/n?"
You turned to sit cross legged to face him.
"Bucky if I wasn't careful I could've killed every single person that was there..."
"Yeah but you didn't..."
"So? I still put them in danger. What if I had died and I couldn't wake them up. What I did was stupid."
"What you did saved everyone" Bucky leaned forward, closer to you.
"Barely!" you yelled in his face.
"Don't yell at me" he hissed.
"Ugh!" you cried and got out of bed. You started pacing the floor.
"Are you seriously regretting saving the universe right now?!" Bucky judged you from the bed.
"I'm just saying I got lucky. I did a stupid thing and everyone was at a higher risk of dying because of me."
"Well at least no one actually died" Bucky got to his knees. "Me? I have killed many people" he stepped off the bed slowly. "Innocent people. I fucking tried to kill you!" He marched around to stand in front of you. "So don't fucking complain when you didn't actually hurt anyone, and you were risking their lives for something worth it anyway!"
You shook your head and started laughing.
"What the hell are you laughing for?!" Bucky grabbed your shoulders to hold you still.
You stopped laughing, but were still grinning madly with your teeth clenched together.
"You were brainwashed Bucky! I've got no fucking excuse for what I did!"
"You didn't do anything!"
"Have you not been listening to a word I've said?!"
"Hey!" Tony swung open the door. "My daughter is trying to sleep in the next room. What the hell is all this yelling?"
Neither you nor Bucky answered.
"Alright. Barnes. Get out."
"No."
"Bucky you should go" you whispered.
"No. I'm not going anywhere."
"Get out of my room. I'm done talking about this with you."
"Yeah? Well I'm not done talking about it!"
"Too bad!"
Bucky glared at you.
He stepped towards you and grabbed your face, pulling him towards you as he forced his lips onto yours.
He pulled away and you locked eyes.
You reached your hands around the back of his head and pulled him back towards you, kissing him for a few seconds more.
Then you let go and climbed into the bed with your back facing the door.
Bucky rolled his eyes and left to sleep somewhere else.
Tony walked around the bed to face you.
"Care to explain?"
"Not really, no."
"Y/n..."
"What?!" you exclaimed as you sat up in bed.
"Why were you fighting?"
"It has nothing to do with you."
"Y/n" Tony said in warning tone.
"I'm trying to sleep" you moaned and rolled over in bed.
Tony jumped in and lay on his back next to you.
"What are you doing Tony?" you mumbled into your pillow.
"Staying here until you talk to me."
"You'll be here a while."
"Fine by me."
"Okay. Well. Goodnight."
You shut your eyes for a few moments, until something hit you in the back of the head.
"OW! What the fuck?!" you turned over to see Tony grinning with a pillow in his hand.
"Pillow fight?"
You frowned at him.
"I'll hit you again..."
You rolled your eyes and shuffled closer to him.
"Gonna talk to me now?"
"I don't wanna be attacked by bedding again...."
"So talk" Tony smirked and held up the pillow in front of your face. "I'm armed."
"You're enjoying this too much."
"Maybe."
"Why do you care so much that we got into a fight?"
"Cause you're upset, and I don't want you to be."
Tony was sitting up, and you lay your head down in his lap to look up at him.
"So?" he asked.
"Tony, were you mad when I didn't give you the gauntlet?"
"And shot me... yeah I mean it hurt. Emotionally and physically."
"Exactly!"
"I don't see why or how you and Bucky could be fighting about that."
"He thinks I did nothing wrong, when I clearly did. I hurt you, and put everyone there at risk..."
"Y/n..." Tony sighed disappointedly. "Are you seriously telling me you regret saving the universe?"
"But it's not like that! I regret almost killing every single person in every single army that was there that day. That's a shit ton of people, Tony."
Tony didn't respond to you, and he was staring at nothing in particular, just not looking at you.
"Are you mad at me now?"
"No. But I know you too well to think that I can win an argument when you're already this worked up."
"Hm."
"All I'm gonna say is you helped a lot of people y/n. More than you ever could have hurt. Everyone is so proud of you, and the world will be forever grateful when they find out what you did..."
"No."
"What?"
"I don't want anyone to know."
"Why not?"
"Tony, how do you think governments would react to the fact that there is someone on Earth who could put entire armies to sleep? Don't you think they'd want that kind of power in their control? You don't think they'd maybe do experiments? Use me as a weapon?"
"I..."
"And if not governments, there are others. Bad people who exist. Some people may even want me dead."
"Y/n..."
"I don't want that Tony. Unlike you, I don't like to be the centre of attention. Hence why I didn't want to be the fucking princess of Asgard."
"I'm sorry. I didn't think."
"No. You didn't."
"You're mad at me too now?"
"Kinda."
"You want me to go?"
"No."
"Do you want to talk anymore?"
"No."
"Do you want me to cancel the party tomorrow?"
"No."
"Are you going to say no to everything?"
"Maybe."
"Pillow fight?"
"No."
"Okay" he smiled softly.
Your head was still resting on him.
Tony put his hand on your arm and brushed up and down comfortingly.
Eventually you fell asleep.
Tony kissed your forehead goodnight and slipped quietly out of your room, to leave you to sleep in peace.