Chapter Twenty-Seven

*narrator pov*
In the last 48 hours, Bucky had found Sam, chased the flag-smashers, had his ass beat by a little girl, officially met the new Captain America, visited an old super-soldier, and then got arrested for missing his court-mandated therapy session.
Sam came to pick him up from the police station, and was waiting for him to be released when he ran into Bucky's therapist.
"Sam" she said. "I've heard a lot about you. I'm Dr Raynor. Im James's therapist."
"So nice to meet you" Sam shook her hand. "Thank you for getting him out."
"That was not me."
"Christina!"
Sam looked over at where John Walker had just entered the room.
"It's great to see you again" Walker smiled.
"You gotta be kidding me" Sam sighed. "You know him?" 
"Yeah we did some field ops back on the day" Raynor explained.
"I heard you were working with Bucky so I thought I'd step in."
"So you got him out?" Sam asked.
"Well that was the plan. But someone actually beat me to it" Walker pointed to someone standing at the side of the room, tapping their foot impatiently. You.
"You know her?" he asked Sam.
Before he could answer, a door at the side of the room buzzed open and Bucky walked out.
When he saw you, he sighed regretfully.
You stormed towards him and slapped him across the face without letting him say a word.
"What the fuck James?!" you screamed, and everyone could hear.
"What are you doing here doll?" Bucky spoke softly.
"Oh don't try to be sweet! You left with no notice or warning! What happened to dinner, huh?! You don't even bother to call! So I gotta track you down and I find out you've been arrested?! What the actually fuck!"
"Will you calm down-" Bucky whispered to you, just as Walker approached you, followed by Sam.
"Is everything alright here?" Walker asked.
"Oh fuck off" you groaned at him.
"Excuse me? I'll have you know you're talking to Captain America..."
"Yeah? I don't give a fuck!"
"Who is this?" Walker faced Bucky.
"No no no. Don't answer him. Answer me. The fuck were you thinking?!" you snapped.
"Okay miss, you're going to need to calm down" Walker placed a hand on your shoulder.
You started to laugh angrily.
"I wouldn't touch her if I were you" Sam warned.
"Why? What is she gonna-"
Walker didn't finish what you were saying before you grabbed his arm and flipped him onto the floor.
The police officers around you pulled their guns on you.
You rolled your eyes at them and Walker stood up.
"I could have you arrested for that!"
"Oh yeah? Go on then."
"No! Don't" Bucky grabbed you by the shoulders and turned you to face him. "Will you shut up?"
You glared at him, but did as he said.
"Thank you" Bucky sighed. "Walker this is y/n."
"Right" Walked nodded.
"I would say it's a pleasure to meet you" you smiled hatefully. "But that would be the biggest lie I've ever told."
"Bucky, what does your girlfriend have against me?"
Bucky didn't answer him, he just stared.
"Y/n dated Steve too for a while" Sam explained.
"You know her as well?"
"Mhm."
"Yeah hi Sam" you nodded grumpily.
"Hi" he nodded back.
"Look, are you gonna cause problems?" Walker asked you.
"Depends if you make me."
"I don't want any trouble. I want to work with you guys on this" he was facing Bucky now. "That's why you're not going to be following a strict schedule anymore. Can't have you tied up."
"James" Raynor came over. She had been watching this not far away. "Condition of release session. Now."
Bucky sighed and started to follow her.
"You too Sam!" she called.
"That's okay. I'll be out here with-"
"That wasn't a request."
Bucky and Sam followed her into another room. 
You were left standing in front of Walker, and you crossed your arms unimpressed.
"So Bucky has a girlfriend? Or-" he noticed and pointed at the ring on your finger. "Wife?"
"We're not married" you said, still staring at him.
"You have the same staring problem as him."
You didn't say anything.
"How do you know Bucky?"
"I'm not making small talk with you" you groaned and pushed past him.
He grabbed your arm before you could go anywhere.
"Get your hand off me. I don't care who you are, I will not hesitate to hit you again" you spat.
"You shouldn't talk to me that way" he warned.
"Or what?"
"Tell me how you know Bucky. Or, better yet, how did you know Steve?"
"You don't get to talk to me about him. Ever. Now get off me."
You shrugged him off and went to sit down.
———
Bucky, Sam and Dr Raynor we're talking.
They finished up, agreeing never to talk to each other again when it was over.
"Well let's get to work" Sam suggested. "Thanks, Doc, for making it weird. I feel much better" he said sarcastically. "I'll see you outside."
"Thank you" Raynor called as he got up and left. "That was really great."
Bucky sat still in his chair for a moment, not making eye contact.
"You didn't tell me about her" Raynor said.
Bucky looked at her, but didn't say anything.
"How long have you been together?"
"I'm not talking about her" Bucky got up to leave.
"I want to speak to her."
"You are not..." Bucky turned angrily, then calmed down to finish "you are not speaking to y/n."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't want that, she doesn't want that, and trust me, you don't want that" Bucky claimed then turned to leave again.
"Don't think I don't know who she is, James. I've seen her file" Raynor called after him, but Bucky ignored her, slamming the door shut behind him.
He found you sitting slumped in a chair with Sam standing by you.
You got up when you saw him.
"Come on" he put an arm around you and you walked outside.
A siren sounded to your left, and you turned to face Walker.
"Not this bitch" you sighed as Bucky took you towards him.
"Gentlemen" Walker waved, completely ignoring you. "Good to see you again. Look, if we divide ourselves we don't stand a chance. You guys know that."
"So what do you got?" Sam asked.
"Oh seriously? You're going to help him?" you questioned.
Bucky put a finger to your lips as he listened to what Walker had to say.
"Well the leaders name is Karli Morganthau. We've been targeting civilians who've been helping Karli move from place to place."
"They geotagged a location then scrambled the signal" Hoskins explained. "But our satellites have found their symbol popping up in various displaced communities all across Central and Easter Europe."
"We think she's taking medicine she just stole to one of these camps" Walker continued.
"Well there are hundreds of those all over the place since the Blip" Bucky added. "So I guess you'll have to look real hard."
"Good thing I have 20/20 vision, huh?" Walker joked.
"Where is she now, Walker? Do you know?"
"No we don't know Bucky. It's only a matter of time before we find out- are you yawning?"
You were in fact yawning under Bucky's arm.
"She does that a lot. Ignore her.... Things are really intense for you, aren't they Walker?" Bucky continued.
"Take it easy. Look, Walker's right" Sam interrupted. "It is imperative that we find them and stop them. But you guys have rules of engagement and all kind of authorisation you have to get. We're free agents. We're more flexible."
"Yeah. We can break the law" you grinned.
"Zip it doll."
You frowned at him.
"Wait, we? She's helping you?" Walker asked.
"No" Bucky said as you simultaneously said "yes".
"It just won't make sense for us to work with you" Sam ended and started to walk away.
You and Bucky followed.
"A word of advice then" Walker said. "Stay the hell out of my way."
"Whatever, shithead" you called and pointed your middle finger at him.
Bucky chuckled at you as you continued to walk away from the now very mad, trashy version of Captain America.
"Real classy y/n" Sam laughed at you too.
"As per usual" you joked, and held Sam's hand.
You swung it back and forth as you walked. Sam didn't object; he didn't care.
"So what are you thinking?" he talked over you to Bucky.
"Well, I know what we have to do..." Bucky answered.
"And what's that?" you asked.
"First of all, send you home."
"Aha. Good one."
"I'm serious."
"Too bad. I'm coming with you."
"No you're not. It's dangerous."
"James, don't try getting rid of me after I just had to spend almost two days trying to track you down."
"Fine. I'm not arguing with you."
"Wise choice."
"You were saying?" Sam reminded.
"Right. When Isaiah said 'my people'..."
"Oh don't take that to heart..." Sam objected. "That's not what he meant."
"Who's Isaiah?" you wondered.
Bucky ignored you and continued. "No he meant Hydra. Hydra used to be my people."
"Not a chance" Sam scoffed.
"What?" you asked.
"Walker doesn't have any leads..." Bucky said.
"I know where you're going with this, no" Sam protested.
"He knows all of Hydra's secrets."
"So you're just gonna go sit in a room with this guy?"
"Yes."
"Okay then... we're gonna go see Zemo."
Bucky and Sam looked at each other seriously, but you looked up, confused.
"Who?"