Memories- "Basketball and First Kiss"

9th Grade

"Regional Championship"

Extracurricular activities and club gatherings are apparently a necessity. So unwillingly Yoongi signed up for basketball. Although he hated running with a passion and valued sleep way more, it was the one daily exertion he actually didn't mind.

Apparently, electives, community service, and good deeds build for experience and look good on resumes and college admissions. Although none of that really mattered to him, he still did it just to shut his teachers up. They were always getting onto him about school spirit and needing to be more involved, always telling him to be more useful and less useless.

So here Yoongi was, warming up and stretching while his best friend Jimin watched from their second favorite spot in the school, 2nd floor, left side bleachers.

It was the "Regional Championship" and also the last game of the season. Min Yoongi, Jimin's best friend, was the star player and also Team Captain. He had led the undefeated team to victory last week with an unprecedented score of 84-32. They not only beat them embarrassingly at their own home court but had slaughtered them. Yoongi was hoping to have that very same outcome today.

Jimin heard the whistle blow and watched the team huddle around the coach.

"Okay boys! This is it! Remember why we are here! To show Busan that we are the best. To show Korea we are #1! We have all studied our play calls, went over our techniques, you guys have got this! Hands in!"

With a small amount of nerves and a lot of fight in their soul, they all reached in with anticipation. All eyes were on this moment. If they succeeded in winning, it would be the first time for their school since 2002.

All players from both teams gathered in the center to prepare for the beginning of the game; the jump shot. Crouching down to give him momentum to jump higher, Yoongi got into position. The opponent opposite of him was much taller and much larger. They hear the whistle blow and Yoongi luckily, despite his shorter height, gets to the ball first.
Jimin starts yelling with the rest of the crowd as the varsity team makes it way down the court and shoots their first goal.

The gym erupts as the opposing team counterattacks and makes it to their side of the court and a basket with ease.
It was the championship. The best of the best were playing against each other. Of course, it would be no easy feat. But Jimin had faith in his Hyung that they'd come out on top.

"Min Yoongi! HWAITING!" He screams louder than anyone and holds up his signs he made it art class. He was still cheering from their second favorite spot in school, left side bleachers, 2nd floor of the gym. He gets up and hangs over the railings shouting Yoongi's name again.
Yoongi gives Jimin an embarrassed gummy smile as he blocks the shot and steals the ball back heading down the court towards their own basket.

He passes it to power forward Lee Tae-min who then dribbles over and passes it to popular shooting guard Kim Yeol. He throws a 3 pointer and makes it, and the whole gym erupts in applause as the other team is advancing again down the court. Yoongi tried to block but he was pushed down and Jimin watched in horror as Yoongi slid across the floor, grabbing his right arm in pain. A whistle is blown and a "time out" is called.
Jimin rushes down the steps in a panic trying to get to his friend as soon as possible.

"Hyung, hyung! Gwaenchanh? Where does it hurt? Should I take you to the nurses office?"

Yoongi shook his head no as Jimin helped him to the side bench and wiped his sweaty face with a towel. He gave him water as the Coach huddled around trying to give them a breakdown of the play by play.