Chapter 44

Ayla poured a bowl of cereal, followed by some cold milk. She sat at the counter top as she begin munching on her breakfast.

A few moments later, Hunter came in. He eyed Ayla who didn't even look in his direction. He took a bowl for himself, sitting right opposite of her and helping himself a bowl of cereal as well.

Ayla ignored him and continue to munch on her breakfast. She was at the end of her seat when she noticed Hunter wouldn't stop staring at her. Like, let her eat in peace, bruh.

They both ate in silence. No one spoke. Ayla was on ego and Hunter was on guilt. Neither wanted to speak first.

At one point, Ayla lifted her head up only to be met by Hunter's eyes. She was shocked to find them all puffy and swollen. Was he... had he been crying?

"Took you long enough to look at me" Hunter plastered a smile, trying to come up with a conversation.

Ayla glared at him and looked back down at her bowl. She just wished she could stuff this remaining half bowl of cereal in her mouth and run upstairs to her room. She begin munching on her cereals faster.

"Hey, uh, you wanna go sightseeing today?" Hunter asked, trying his best.

Ayla ignored him.

"It's my day off so I thought of spending it with you" Hunter tried again.

If she wasn't mad, she would have melted for that and agreed at the first time he asked itself. Too bad, she's mad.

"We could go for a long ride" Hunter suggested. No reaction.

"We could grab some donuts" He tried to coax her.

"We could-" He was cut off by a sharp stare from the little girl before him. He gulped as he saw how mad she was, her nerves were visible on her forehead. Hunter immediately closed his mouth, getting the message that she was annoyed.

Ayla quickly finished her breakfast and went to the sink to wash her bowl. Hunter was done with his as well so he rushed towards the sink.

"Hey, uh, why don't you leave it, I'll do the dishes" Hunter offered. Ayla ignored him, continue to wash the bowl. She set the bowl aside and wiped her hand on the towel.

Hunter who got restless immediately pulled her arm, turning her around and pinning her between him and the sink so she couldn't run.

"Ayla, please, listen to me" Hunter begged.

Ayla looked at him for a moment before turning her head away, crossing her arms.

Hunter sighed. "Look, I'm sorry for yelling at you, alright? I don't know why but I just got so mad when you spoke in the meeting when clearly I told you not to"

"That isn't the problem, Hunter" Ayla looked at him dead in the eye, making him gulp a little. No one dares to look at him dead in the eye like that other than Shawn or Taker.

"You embarrassed me in public. You humiliate me in public. You let me down in front of everybody. Do you know how embarrassed I was when you did that?" Ayla dug her index finger on his chest with each word.

"You were lucky I still had respect for you or else I would have punched you on the nose right there" Ayla said through gritted teeth.

"Ayla, I-"

"Oh that's not it. You freaking underestimated me. You were like, 'hey, what this little troll before me is gonna do. After all she is just a low class homeless dumb puppet' weren't you?"

"It's not like th-"

"You said I was making stories. What was that for? It means you didn't believe I could, didn't you? You are the same as others who'd tried to bring me down. You look down at me. You think I'm weak and just a good for nothing Barbie doll, don't ya?" Ayla raised her voice.