44 - Delores

I sat next to Severus, between him and Minerva, no doubt by Dumbledore's intent, in the Great Hall. Watching all the kids file in was an interesting thing for me. Many of the students at the Gryffindor table, people I'd consider friends. My little cousin and his followers at the Slytherin table, interesting to think I used to be in that house.

I remember Draco's first year, me scaring the shit out of him in the Common Room. That was before I even knew we were, while distantly, related.

Watching kids get sorted was also a treat for me. I noticed a trend of the first years looking almost, upset or scared when they were sorted into Slytherin.

"Good evening children." Dumbledore starts off another beginning of the year speech. "Now we have three changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly Plank who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is temporarily on leave. We're also pleased to welcome back Miss L/N, who will be our new permanent Ancient Runes teacher. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Delores Umbridge, and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck. Now our caretaker Mister Filch has asked me to remind you-" Dumbledore was cut off by a high-pitched throat clear that could have been mistaken as a squeak. Dolores Umbridge stood and looked over the students in the Great Hall.

She walked around the table and began to make her way in front of Dumbledore as she spoke.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." I glanced to Severus while she took a pause, he did the same to me. Neither of us had to say a word and we looked back to Umbridge. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged." What the bloody hell does that mean? "Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She squeaked again, leaving the Hall in awkward silence, and walked back to her seat.

It was clear what she was here for, she was meant to be an ambassador for the Ministry and evaluate Hogwarts for what it was, and most likely going to make changes according to her and the "Ministry's" beliefs.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge," Dumbledore said going back to his podium. "That was really most illuminating." Dumbledore went on to explain a few new rule changes, one of those being that magic is forbidden in the corridors.

After dinner, I was able to walk with Severus to his room.

It was going to be a lot harder to get much if any alone time with Severus with that woman here. It was clear that the whole point was for her to spy on everything at Hogwarts, and even now, just sitting down with a cup of tea in Severus' room, I felt on edge.

"I hate her. I know I've been saying that about a lot of people lately but I really, really loathe her." I said, almost in a hushed tone. I had the subconscious fear that she was listening to the conversation.

"I'm agreeing with you," Severus said, pouring himself some tea so that he may join me.

"We're going to have to sneak around like a bunch of school children rather than two consenting adults with an age gap," I said, sighing.

"We'll be alright."

"I don't think she'll make a friend of me either considering I'm Harry's only advocate about Voldemort."

"Just, appeal to her better nature if you can."

"What of it she may have."

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

I waited anxiously for my class to arrive.

It would be a mixture of third, fourth, and fifth years, and I had no idea who to expect in the class.

I recognized none of the faces that had walked in, except for one Pansy Parkinson and one Luna Lovegood.

"Alright, good afternoon, class. I am Miss L/N, though you are free to call me Miss Lestrange, Miss, or whatever you are comfortable with that still respects me as your teacher." I waved my wand and the chalk wrote on the bored those two names.

"Now, I am quite am fairly young. Some of you may remember me as Hagrid's assistant teacher two years ago, perhaps some of you are even old enough to remember me from when I was a student that attended this school." I told them.

Quite frankly, I was a little nervous, so I was slowly pacing back and forth.

"Weren't you in the tournament last year?" A student asked. I stopped my pacing.

Please don't do this.

"I was. Though I was not the winner, I did compete." I said softly. I was trying extra hard to keep my calm. I not only didn't want to have a breakdown, but I wanted to handle the situation in the best way that could make everyone happy.

"Is it true you saw You-Know-Who?" Another kid was quick to ask as soon as I responded to the previous question.

"I.." I walked to the front of the class and leaned against my desk. "Dumbledore has advised to not speak on this. The Ministry would not want me to, and I'm sure most if not all of your parents would as well." I explained. "However, I was there with Harry Potter when Cedric Diggory was killed. The Dark Lord is back. Outside of disappearances, it would seem he is not currently at large, however. But that doesn't mean he won't be."

I was met with silence. I was already risking losing my job just by saying that much. But the truth is that I saw everything that happened. I was there, I know the truth. And I'll be damned if I let these kids think everyone is fine.

"Now, you don't have to believe me, that's alright. Most people don't. Your parents, the Minister, Umbridge, none of them have to believe me. But I'd feel horrible to lie to anyone." I said. "I don't want him to be back any more than you, or your parents, or the Minister, or anyone does, but I cannot leave you all to believe that the things that have and will occur are because Dumbledore wants to take over the Ministry, or Potter and I are confused children, the list of excuses and conspiracies go on but the truth is that Voldemort is back."

I was met with silent and concerned faces. I didn't know whether or not to say more.

"Is it true you survived the killing curse?" A voice from the corner said, and everyone seemed to become much more interested again.

"Yes." That was all I said.

"Show us!" Another said.

"No no, this is an Ancient Runes class, not show and tell. Unfortunately, we have actual work to be doing." I said.

They groaned.

"Don't worry, I'll make it fun."