Chapter 36: I'll Never Stop Loving You

I ran with all the speed I could. I reached the house and ran to her room. Tyler and Gale were on my heels following behind me shortly. I laid her down on the bed and looked at her. Her skin had drastically paled, her black hair stood out eerily. The full red lips of hers were dried and chapped.

"Alex." I screamed shaking her, "Alex!" Gale walked in, "Save her." I begged "Trey you have to go...." Gale said looking at me. "I'm not going anywhere! I won't leave her! Never, I promised her I'd protect her. That I would never put my back to her!" I snapped, Gale put his hands on my shoulder and squeezed,

"I'm going to do all I can to save her, but I need you to go. If you love her please let me help her, and just wait outside." He rationed, I nodded and just let him push me out, my eyes never leaving Alex, till the door closed blocking my view. I just sat there on the stairs.

Tyler leaned against the wall, the both of us in silence. I was to afraid to think, I just couldn't handle what my worries might lead to. What my fears could imagine. I put my head into my hands. This can't be happening. This, has to be a nightmare-a terrible nightmare.

"Why didn't you come for me." Tyler asked, I just sat there quietly ignoring him. "I know you felt it. Felt me in pain." Tyler continued, "Alex needed me." I said simply, "I am your fuckin brother! That BITC-," "Don't you call her that!" I roared getting up now. He looked at me. Like I was crazy.

"I saved your life and we are family! We're blood and- YOU JUST ABANDON ME FOR HER? FOR HER! I COULD'VE DIED SHE IS GOING TO DI-," I punched him in the face. He fell to the ground holding his jaw angrily. I was seething with rage as I stood over him. "Is this how it's going to be Trey, you always picking a girl before family. Putting me aside for whoever comes into your life." He sighed getting up.

"You are my brother. My big brother. You taught me everything, that our father couldn't. If you ever been in love then you'd know that I had to do what I did. That I couldn't live with myself knowing I didn't do all that I could to protect her. You had a better chance at surving, I didn't want you to die, I didn't want this." I sighed,

He stood and glared me down. "When you needed me I was there. Regardless of anything else family comes first. You may or may not loose Alex, but you definitely have lost me." He said coldly. It got real quiet between us as the tension grew. "Guys. If your done fighting, you can see her." Gale interrupted

Tyler shoved his hands in pockets and took off downstairs somewhere. I  watched him leave. Part of me going with him. The damage was done though, and there was no going back. I walked toward her room. Part of me didn't want to go in, because once I do there was no going back. I have to accept it no matter what. Gale reached out and grabbed my shoulder before walking in.

He didn't have to say anything, my heart cracked in several ways. He simply shook his head and went to downstairs. I walked in. Her wounds were all cleaned and wrapped. However she still didn't have that glow, that thing that separated us from them. The walking dead from the vibrant living.

I just looked at her, feet planted to the ground. I wanted to tell her I loved her and that I was sorry for letting her down, but I didn't feel worthy of that. So nothing came out. "Trey?" She gasped, I swallowed and was right beside her before I knew it. "Alex. Alex I am so sorry, I'm sorry for everything, I-," "Trey, I love you." She said simply, I bit my lip, after everything she still felt the same for me.

"I love you Alexandria." I replied as I grabbed her hand and held it fingers intertwining with mine. "I'm scared, I'm so scared Trey." She whimpered as I wrapped my arms around her.  "I'll never have kids, or see my parents again, or you. I don't want to-," She started crying and rambling. I kissed her, "Let me turn you Alex please." I begged, she shook her head. I had to push out my anger, and the urge to do so. 

"Promise me something though." She breathed, I nodded quickly. "Anything." "That you will always watch batman for me," She smiled I tried to grin back but it was to forced and fell apart. "And, that when you fall in love again, you won't feel guilty. Okay. And that you will live on for me." She pressed holding onto my hand.

I was about to protest on ever loving someone else, but she stopped me. "You can, and you will. I need to know that you'll be happy again. That there is going to be someone to take care of you, because I can't." "Alex you're going to be alright, you're not going anywhere do you here me?" I replied holding her to me. She buried her head in my shoulder. Her arms wrapped around my waist.

 "One last thing Trey, please sing for me. I only really got to hear you once." She asked into my shirt. I was shaking now. Sing? How could she ask me to sing right now? I swallowed several times. I was barely keeping it together. I knew she was terrified also, but was trying to be strong for me. Trying to be brave for my own sake. I kissed her forehead and then her lips.

We sat like that not nearly long enough before I had to pull away. I had to look at her, take all of her in. The plea in Alex's eyes was evident. She needed this-not just the song but peace. I grabbed her hand harder, and I started to sing to her.

"This is my love song to you. Let every woman know I'm yours. So you can fall asleep each night, babe. And know I'm dreaming of you more." I grinned wipping her tears away. "You're always hoping that we make it. You always want to keep my gaze. Well you're the only one I see love. And that's the one thing that won't change." I rocked her back and forth as she relaxed in my lap. 

'I will never stop trying. I will never stop watching as you leave. I will never stop losing my breath. Every time I see you looking back at me. And I will never stop holding her hand. I will never stop opening your door. I will never stop choosing you babe. I will never get used to you." I added stroking her hair gently, 

"And with this love song to you. It's not a momentary phase. You are my life, I don't deserve you. But you love me just the same. And as the mirror says we're older. I will not look the other way. You are my life, my love my only. And that's the one thing that won't change." I whispered  

"And I...Will always love you. I...Will always love you." I admitted, "I loved you too." She replied quietly as her grip around me began to weaken and her eyes fell close. Her mouth slightly agaped. She felt lighter. "Alex...Alex! Alexandria!" I shouted shaking her. I shook and shook, I screamed her name again. "Don't go please, I can't. I need you! I love you! Please!" but nothing.

She was...gone. I could still see a small smile on her lips. She had gone in peace. "I love you, more than I had time to show." I confessed.  I for the first time in my life...cried. I held her hand and just let my tears fall. I felt sick and couldn't stop crying. My body was shaking and my throat burned. "Alex. Alex. Alex."

I had wanted to marry her, spend so many more moments with her. I had wanted to love her, and spend my immortality by pleasing her. Now-, I just wept openly on her body. I thought how I had sung to her for the first time. Asking her to take a chance on me. The first time she told me she love me. I-, I thought I was crazy, or was hallucinating. That moment where she first kissed me, as we sat on the riverbed listening to the music.

The moment she threw cereal in my face, I knew this was the girl for me. When she opened that bathroom door, she was beautiful-like a rose in full bloom. I cried for her and selfishly for me. I lost two people who meant the world to me. I was alone. Empty. No, not like this.

I reached out and bit her wrist. I sunk my fangs inside. Again and again pumping all the blood I could into her. I was becoming faint and tired but still I gave-, I was falling to my knees. I felt my heart slowing and my body was growing weaker and weaker. 

Gale walked in, "Trey stop! Trey stop or you'll die!" He tried to pry me from her but couldn't. I held on till I could feel my own heart fully stop. I sucked in a small amount of her blood. I never knew it moved, I wanted to laugh at the discovery of it, but it came out more as a cough.

I felt my body fall to the ground. Gale was shouting and screaming something at me. I just felt overwhelmingly tired, so I slipped off into serene sleep.

.....