Chapter 37: Rock Bottom

I woke up in a bed. Was it all just a dream? A really bad nightmare? A fear so terrifying that it manifested to reality. "Alex!" I called sitting up, "Alex!" The door cracked open. "Alex." I smiled, it had been Gale. It wasn't a dream, she was really gone. Alex, my Alexandria had-, died. I fell back to the bed. Looking at the ceiling.

"You almost, died again." Gale announced, "I wish I would have. It seems easier than dealing with this." I sighed, "Tyler stole off into the night. Not before making sure you were okay though." Gale added crossing his arms. I almost laughed, "You use to be better at lying Gale." I replied,

He just sighed and put his head in his hands. Thinking who knows what. I didn't really care. If I had my way he wouldn't even be here. "Gale do me a favor and just jump off a cliff." I stated rolling over from him. "Aren't we snippy." He teased, "Don't make me kill you." I snapped sitting up now.

He threw me a bottle. "It's a lot easier than thinking. I'm going to go and make breakfast or something." He said before leaving, He swung the door open revealing Victoria who was just standing there. Gale almost ran into her. For a moment it was quiet and they just stood there gazing at one another.

Gale coughed and breaking the moment. He tried to talk but his voice was too high pitch, so his attempt at being cool failed. Victoria laughed at him, he just grumbled something and walked off. Victoria finally looked back to me, and frowned. "You look terrible." She noted as she closed the door behind her.

I didn't say anything, I just turned away from her completely. I felt her delicate hands touch my arm. "Trey." She whispered, "Victoria. Leave." I replied venomously. "I didn't come here to seduce you. I just wanted to say...I'm sorry." She admitted,

I snatched her by the neck and gripped her throat tightly. She choked out and tried to pull away from me. I just tightened my hold. "If this is some sort of sick mind game, I'm not in the mood!" I added glaring at her now. She shook her head feverishly. "You lost so much. I am here because you need me, as a friend." She coughed out. I searched her eyes for any lies.

I let her go and turned from her. I dug palms into my eyes. "I don't even know, what to do without her. Where do I go from here?" I asked, Victoria looked me in the eye. "You live. For right now that's enough." She kissed my cheek. She walked to the door and was about to leave. Victoria turned around and stared at me. "Everything, will be fine. Just give it time." she added before leaving,

.....

I did just that. I breathed, and stayed in my room. I only slept and drank. As the days progressed, the heavier my intake was and the darker my drink became. I polished off whole handles in matters of a few hours. My room reeked of liquor and grime from lack of showering, and dirty laundry. Gale tried to get me out but gave up after I nearly ripped his arms off and would just bring me blood from time to time.

I broke everything in my room. The bed I snapped it in two on the first night. I broke every mirror in my room and didn't bother cleaning. I punched holes in the walls constantly. Everything about me somehow had grew from her. She taught more than I realized, and meant something deeper than just simple love. She made me human.

Reminding me that I was first a man-and a beast second. All that made me angry, pissed, foolish, inspired, and happy had come from her doings. No man could be truly happy without such a woman. A woman that heightens you in entirely, and makes you angry just as she makes you happy.

Why of all people did Alex have to be swept up into our world? Why did Alex have to become our nanny, why did-I sat up abruptly, and pushed the bottle of scotch aside, something clicked to me. Why did Alex become our nanny?

I got up, washed myself, and dressed hurriedly. I ran down stairs. "Gale what are you doing here?" I questioned he stopped in the middle of chopping a cucumber. "Excuse me? I've been trying to help your narcissist-," "That's not what I mean. Why are you here? Why did you come here?" I asked gesturing to the house.

"I was in the middle of, some business in Moscow. Out of nowhere I get a phone call on my burner, from some blocked number. It had been your mom. She had called me up demanding I'd be here. Didnt tell me why, she just said if I wasn't here I'd regret it. She was very specific down to the time I arrive." He replied as he continued chopping away making some man salad.

"That didn't strike you as in the least way as odd?" "It did." He replied simply as he kept on with the making of his food. "Why did you come then!" You know how much I love family." He said sweetly, as he added lettuce and tomatoes."You and I both know that's a lie."

He stopped this time and actually looked at me. "When one of thee strongest and oldest vampires demand you do something, you do it. Usually I'd tell them to go fuck themselves, or pay me. Sometimes both, but your mother is something else. She isn't like the other council members. Aunt May is something different entirely. The woman puts fear in everyone. Even in the council members." He answered

I thought about what he told me. Something is definitely going on. I picked up Gale's keys and stuffed them into my leather jacket. "It's nice to see that you came out of your room." He added,

"When I come back I want you out of my house." I stated, "You're taking my car though?" He stated, "Your point?" I asked

He rolled his eyes and kept making his stupid salad.

"Wait where are you going?" He added

"To have a little chat with mother dearest." I grumbled slamming the door behind me.