Chapter 26

Angelina's pov

"It all started when I was in my fifth grade. Until fifth grade, our family was perfect. One day, my father started going out with wrong people. He would come home late completely drunk. Me and mom had got used to his ways even after my mom tried to change him. She would always try to talk to him about not drinking so much. But he never listened. Slowly he started to raise his voice on us. And eventually he started beating us" I said. Kai took a deep breath beside me but I didn't dare to look him. Keeping my gaze ahead of me, I continued.

"He started raising his hand on us when I was in seventh grade. He slapped my mom for the first time after coming home completely drunk. Soon after he stopped spending money on the house. He completely abandoned us. He would only come home for sleeping or to beat us. Mom started working at some place trying to get money for us. Then my father started abusing us more on daily basis. He completed forgot that we were his family, his wife and his daughter over drinking.

"He would abuse us until we would be dead. Mom would always protect me taking my beatings. She would always try to hide me from him when he comes home. I didn't want my mom to take that abuse alone so I would escape from the hiding place and be with her. This went on for years. We both would only be happy, when he isn't at home, or when she went to work or when I went to school or the park" I sighed thinking about my happy times.

"Mom would try to fullfill my needs with amount of money she received. She would always be happy buying things to me even when I didn't need them. Just to see her smile, I would accept it. When we complained to the cops about the abuse. The cops just ignored us listening to whatever my father said. When mom suggested to divorce, he flipped. He held me by my throat threatening to kill me if she divorced him. We didn't have much choice but to stay. The money she recieved didn't pay up the bills. We decided to move to a small house but he didn't let us. Then I started working part-time jobs to help mom. She didn't like it at first but eventually she agreed"

"When I came to final year of highschool. Everything went down hill. The amount of pain we both went through was unbelievable. His abuse started more painful, hurtful. He....he....." I started to take deep breaths as anxiety starts just thinking about it.

Kai kneeled down infront of me taking my hands in his. I looked at him and found tears in his tears. He brushed his thumbs on my hand trying make me calm. Just looking into him, I started to calm down.

I removed my hand from his and lifted my hand up wiping his tears. He took my hand in his and stared at it.

"If I would have been more mature. If I had stayed with you. I could have helped you. I let my ego come first instead of standing next to you" I shook my head trying to pull him from him kneeling in front of me. He shook his head gripping my hands tightly.

"We were best friends. I should have been there with you when you needed me. But I broke my promise. I let you down. I didn't want my friends to think low of me once they knew I was friends with you. Before you came to meet me on the first day of the school, they were talking about you. Being your friend, I should have stood up for you but instead, I acted as if I didn't know you and let them bad mouth you. I let them bully you, torture you. You were going through a lot outside the school. And I put more pressure on you. I was so stupid. Please forgive me Angel" he said looking at our hands.

"Stand up Kai. Please" I said pulling his hands up. He obeyed and stood up. I pulled him beside me to sit.

"I wished that you would have stood up for me that day. I wish we would have been friends. But I didn't see my friend when I saw you that day. I felt like all the time when we played and talked was a lie. You made me feel low all those years. I wanted help, but you ignored me. I know we can't change the past now. But I just wished" I said.