Chapter 8

#Lyn's POV#

On the way to my new school, I took out my phone. I wanted to see if any more people subscribed or watched my videos. I clicked into my channel, saw the subscriber count, and squealed out loud. "Oh my gosh... Lizzie.. Joel..." I couldn't believe my eyes. From a mere 9 subscribers, two of which was LDShadowLady and SmallishBeans, I got to 42 subs! In two days! I had over 10k views in my adoption video and almost 200 likes! This was the start of my channel!

"Lyn! What happened?" Lizzie asked, turning around to face me from the front seat. I still had my hand over my mouth, shocked. "My channel..." I said. "Got over 40 subscribers! In two days!" Lizzie gasped and cried: "That's great! I'm so happy for you!"  '

Timeskip to first lesson:

I walked into my homeroom class, my tutor group. Many unfamiliar faces stared at me while I went to the teacher's desk. "Um... hi, I'm Lyn-Rose... I'm new..." I stammered. The teacher looked at me for a sec, then smiled warmly. "Welcome to North England High School, Lyn-Rose. We're expecting you. I'm Ms Stewards. You can choose a seat, and we'll have formal introductions when everyone is here." I felt uncomfortable letting my tutor call me Lyn-Rose, so I said: "Uh.. you can just call me Lyn." "Okay Lyn," Ms Stewards replied, smile still on her face.

When all the students in my class arrived, Ms Stewards greeted us all, and told the class: "Today we have a new student. Her name is Lyn. Let's warmly welcome her, and we'll choose a buddy to show her around the school later. Come on up, Lyn!"  

I awkwardly walked to the front of the class. I could practically feel the pairs of eyes staring at me when I stood next to Ms Stewards. "So, Lyn, tell us about yourself!" 

"Umm, well, I'm Lyn, I was born in London. My dad.. died before I was born and my mother... she passed away in a fire. So basically I'm an orphan." Many ooh and ahhs and awws echoed around the room after I said that. "Oh, no, I'm so sorry," Ms Stewards told me. 

I shrugged it off continued with my story. "I recently got adopted, but before then, I stayed in the Moorshire Orphanage." One girl raised her hand. "Ooh, I've been there a few months ago for a volunteer work. That's why you look so familiar and your name sounds familiar." "That's great, Amber," Mrs Steward smiled. Then she nodded for me to continue.

"I also recently created my own YouTube channel... uh, called TheSolarEclipse..." I told the class. I didn't want to boast, but that's the kind of thing you say when you introduce yourself, right...? "I really like playing Minecraft, and I watch LDShadowLady, GeminiTay, and SmallishBeans." Of course I left out the part that I actually lived with two of the YouTubers I mentioned. "And... uh, that's all." 

I fast-walked back to my seat, and sat there thinking: Oh, that was a really bad introduction. Why did I stutter so much? Why did I stare at the floor all the time...? "I think that's great, Lyn. Now, for the weekly announcements..." Ms Stewards started ticking off a few events coming up and charity work and stuff like that. 

Timeskip to lunch:

The morning sessions was not bad. I had English first period, then maths for second period. Many of my classmates were interested in my life, I don't think they have met many orphans before. But I'm not an orphan anymore. I have Joel and Lizzie. 

I slipped into the lunch line. Lizzie had given me $5 this morning, and I chose a tuna sandwich, some juice, and a packet of chips to eat. I found an empty table and sat down, chomping down my sandwich. I was starving, and the food was pretty good. Suddenly, someone sat down next to me. It was Amber, the girl who recognised me from the orphanage. 

"Hi, Lyn. I'm Amber Hughs. Remember when Ms Stewards said she'll get you a buddy to show you around the school in the morning? Well, I'm your buddy... Can I sit next to you?" Amber asked. My mouth was full, so I just nodded. After I chewed down that piece of bread, we started eating and chatting together. I think I'm making my first friend here, I thought.