Chapter 16

#Lyn's POV#

From the guest bedroom I could hear Scott opening the front door. Finally! It's time he got back! Then I heard voices downstairs. "...Me and Lyn had been waiting..." Lizzie's voice floated up and into the room through the open door. "Sorry...keep...waiting... I have something." Scott said after.

With that, I rushed downstairs, eager to see Scott again. But when I got there, Lizzie was screaming and crying and I turned around to see Joel behind him. 

#Lizzie's POV#

"But I have something." Scott said, and then someone, someone who I oh so hated after what happened this morning, someone who had betrayed me and cheated on me. I saw Joel.

I screamed and tears started trickling down my cheek. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lyn come down the stairs, but that didn't matter. For now. All that matters now is that Joel had the nerve to come back to me after what he did. "Get out!" I screamed. "Get out of Scott's house!" I took several staggered, deep breaths and felt Lyn's arms wrap around me.

I backed away and wiped the tears from my eyes and saw Joel clearly for the first time since, you know, that time. "But... I came here to...." Joel stammered, also backing away, out onto the grass. "I came here to say s-sorry f-for what I d-did." He finally said, breathing heavily.

"Did you hear me?" I screeched, and I saw Scott's hands fly to cover his ears. "I said get out! Get out of my sight! Get out of Lyn, Scott's and my sight!"

"Go, Joel. Come back later. Or tomorrow." Scott whispered, but he wasn't  quiet enough, and I heard him even through my loud sobs. "No! Don't come back! Never come back! I never want to see you again? And who knew how long you had been with Bella? No one! And who knows how long you will still keep that secret from me if I wasn't going to walk Meri?" I asked.

Everyone went silent, and finally Joel broke the silence by not talking, but with his shoes brushing the grass, signaling that he's leaving. I looked through the door and saw that he had his head down, as if he was genuinely sorry. But would he be genuinely sorry if he cheated on me? I asked myself. No. Don't think like that. Of course he won't be sorry. It was his decision to date Bella, anyway.

#Lyn's POV#

Joel left, and me, Scott and Lizzie just stood there, not talking, nor moving, for a few minutes. Then Lizzie wiped her tears and went upstairs, still not talking. I caught Scott's gaze and raised my eyebrows towards the slow, moving figure walking up the stairs, and I guess he understood what I meant as he just nodded slightly.

"Lizzie...." I caught up to my adoptive mom as she sat down on our bed. "Are you okay?..." Lizzie sighed, again. "I'm so sorry, Lyn, if this wasn't what you expected when you realised you were getting adopted by your favourite YouTubers. Your idols. This is what we experience behind the scenes, not on camera. Fights, sorrow. On camera, we just seem like a perfect couple. But it's actually not true. Well, some of them aren't and some of them are. I feel like I failed you, trying to be your mother..." I trailed off, feeling tears rising up from my body again.

"No, Lizzie." I said, lying on the bed. "No. You have not failed me. You have not failed anyone. The only person you've failed is... yourself. By that I mean that I know you love Joel. I know you still love him, even though he did that to you. I know. And I know you know, too." I chuckled. "Wow, I said so many 'I knows'."

Lizzie closed her eyes, and Scott peeked in. I motioned for him to give us some space for now, and he left, presumably to his room. "Yes. You're right. I haven't failed anyone yet. I've only failed myself by thinking that Joel would never love me again and he would never come back to me. I need to think positive. Oh, I should have let him apologise just now..." I nodded. "Yes. And now, I think you should make the first move." I handed Lizzie her phone. "Yes. I should...thank you, Lyn. Love you." We pulled into a long hug and I said: "I'm proud to be your daughter."

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for reading and I hope you've enjoyed it so far. If you're a fan of GeminiTay, check out my new fanfic - Journey: A GeminiTay Story!

-Eclipse 🌙