t w e n t y s i x. giant wheels and tiny steps

Dear Pranati,

Should I resort to writing letters like you did back then? Would that make you come back? I cannot... aah fuck this

Yours,

Rey

Jugnu woke up late that day, somewhere around ten and when she glanced at the wall clock, the first thing that ran across her mind was how did her always early to wake her up mother had not woken her up yet. She sat back on the bed, yawning, smiling that she did not have to wake up early by 8 and for once lay around lazily. And then the last evening flashed in her mind like lightning and her smile washed away pretty soon, just like the thunder that followed the lightning. Those words, that insults, her mother, their life and everything about it made her sadder.

The name calling of being illegitimate never made sense to her, because she did not understand what that heavy word actually meant, she'd just shrug it off like nothing. However, she heard someone mutter that word in Gattu's orphanage, and Gattu had told her, moist eyes and sad face, 'the one's who are born to couples' who are not married.'

And ever since that revelation, she realised that she fell in the tag of being an illegitimate kid to her mother, and then understood why her father was not present. She then looked at Gattu, her best friend, who was not only illegitimate, but was also orphan, someone whose parents abandoned him.

That thought changed her entire outlook towards her mother and ever since, she only wanted to make her mother happy, smile like before, just be what she was without her, before her. But she could not even do that.

Loser

"Morning baby,"

Jugnu looked at her mother who stood on the door, hands folded and a soft smile on her face. Not the one she wanted but could do for starters. Her mother seemed better than last evening, she rubbed her eyes and got off ye blanket. "DM? Why did you not wake me up early?"

"Because, I thought of giving you an off day."

"Why?"

"Arrey, main maa hu, main kuch bhi kar sakti hu."

To that Jugnu tsked, "you need to stop with the Maa-Shastra," Pranati chuckled while walking towards her kid, "it is getting old, come up with something creative."

"I came up with you," Pranati ruffled her hair lovingly, bending to meet her cute eyes, "and you have to carry my legacy, meri jaan."

"Very good," Jugnu sighed, slumping her shoulders, "ye kaam mujhe karna padega."

"Haww," Pranati exclaimed, feigning anger at her smart daughter. "You feeling okay now?"

Jugnu went back to her careless persona, shrugging and hiding her emotions with a goofy smile, "I am always okay, DM."

Pranati sighed, shaking her head, "alright jaan, go take a shower soon and come down at the breakfast table, and then..."

"Nahi," Jugnu groaned, looking up at the ceiling, "nahi, can't I stay in room the entire day? DM?"

"But..."

"Haan haan, why not, stay in bed all day, whole day."

Both the girls turned simultaneously towards the entrance where a very handsome and carrying the same goofy smile as his daughter, Reyansh, stood. Jugnu furrowed her eyebrows, confused while Pranati averted her gaze from him, the last thing she wanted to do was fight with Reyansh in front of their daughter.