𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 | 7

Theodore awoke the next morning to the sounds of the chickens. Quickly he realize that he was not in his bed chambers but the cabin south of the castle with Mabel solidly against his chest. Her beautiful feature once again draw him in as he could resist touching her face. Swiftly Mabel's eyes shot open glow a bright purple as Theodore nicely place a calming hand on her shoulder.

"Mabel there is nothing...." He started but stopped feeling something on his legs. Onyx was slithering across the bed. "Mabel I think your pet or familiar... whatever this thing is. Is trying to eat me!" He yelled causing the woman to sit up looking back at him and then the snake at the foot of the bed.

"He could never harm anyone unless I told him to. I thought you would have taken your leave by now...." She said falling silent as she looked around the room. Without a word, Mabel stood walking her way to the door and back into the living area as if she was lost.

"Is there something wrong Mabel?"

"How I'm I supposed to live Prince Theodore? I have no coins, no animals...."

"You need not to worry about that Mabel. I will make sure you are fed, and whatever else you may need. Right now, I need to get to the castle before the Queen starts to have one of her fits. I will bring you some porridge after." He said as a knock came on the door. Mabel looked at him with worried eyes as Theodore slowly opened the door.

"Prince you are still here." Dorothy spoke holding a large basket full of breads, cheese, and other things. "I thought Miss Mabel would like a morning meal... will you be staying?" She asked and as bad as Theodore wanted to him knew he couldn't.

"No, I will come back later and check on Lady Mabel." He said warning her with his eyes as her mouth opened to say something against it. "Until thus afternoon Lady Mabel. Enjoy your breakfast." He said hurrying to the castle and straight to the dining hall. Everyone was eating which didn't bother Theodore because he rarely made it there on time.

"Good Lord, Prince Theodore did you roll in the hey last night?" Evelyn asked. Yes, he was dirty and it wasn't the first time he came to the table this way. His dear mother wanted to make a scene because the awaiting Ladies were at the table this morning.

"I stay out...."

"Yes, I know. You were at that brothel against my wishes franchising with those bloody whores again. I do not see why when you have Lady Winifred right here. You will be betrothed soon after...."

"Queen Evelyn I do believe I gave our son the opinion to pick his own betrothal. If he does not choose Lady Winifred and thou cannot choose her for him. This is the reason he is not attending this year's season. Am I wrong?" King Roland said making Evelyn suck her teeth glaring at her dear husband the king.

"King Roland it is not his choice! We have been over this. Prince Theodore will betroth Lady Winifred and no one else!" She yells as the King's hand came down on the table, scaring all the Ladies including the queen.

"I AM THE KING! YOU DO NOT OVERRULE ME QUEEN EVELYN AND I HAVE GIVEN OUR SON PERMISSION TO DO SO. HE WILL NOT BE BETROTHING LADY WINIFRED OR ANY OTHER OF THESE LADIES IF HE DOES NOT PLEASE!" He yelled making the woman before him nodded her head.

"Yes His Majesty. I am sorry I was in the wrong."

"Now Lady Winifred I do hope that you find a suitor. There are many of them here this season and it is upsetting that your Mother could not make it to help you through it. You all may be excused, I need to speak with my son the prince." King Roland says as everyone quickly left the table.

"Father I...."

"You were at the brothel last night. No?" He spoke as Theodore nodded his head. "Lord Edward Jones sent word to the castle that he is looking for a young maiden." He said as Theodore's heart stopped for a second.