Chapter 22

My eyes opened and widened instantly for a few seconds before I managed to calm down my heart. I let out air I didn't know I was holding in and looked around, noticing that it was already night, the scent of nature made me smile a little, but it vanished as quickly as it came. I turned my head to watch my cousins behind me, Yadhi and Acay were the only ones on horses, trying to sleep as much as possible, to my front, Haco is with Levi's squad and walking beside Armin. That girl... Was she Ymir? I'm confused, why would she show me something like this? My head doesn't hurt anymore, but what my grandfather said. I am a--

"Pst, (Y/N)." I glanced to my right and watched Hange walking close to me. I followed her stare to Levi's back and I shrugged my shoulders a little. "Hange, don't." I muttered, the two of us now meeting eyes. "I know it's a pretty bad time, but you should really speak it out. Levi might not show it, but when he gets moody we can all feel it from miles away." I sighed at what Hange just said, staring into Levi's back. She's right, it's not the best time to do this, but I can't taint my relationship with him, even if his decisions hurt me. "He didn't ask me if I agreed to his decision, I have a reason to be sad... Levi doesn't trust me, and I had to swallow that the worst possible way." Hange stared at me with a saddened glint in her eyes. "I will speak, but not now... We have an important mission." I finished and the Commander hummed at my conclusion.

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt!" We heard Connie yell and Hange and I quickly ran to him to light a titan leaning on a tree stump, Hange sighed in relief. "It's all right. He's fast asleep. This lad must not be one of those new types that move at night. That's too bad. Let him be." We went on our merry way without looking back at the titan, but I did turn to Connie. "You scared the crap out of me." He apologized and flashed me a nervous smile. "I can't believe we didn't see it till that close-up." Eren inquired.

"Yeah, I'm with you there. This moonless night must be protecting us, light from the moon is reflected sunlight. The new type of Titan... We think they use that minuscule amount of reflected light to move, using the new moon was the right move. There's no guarantee we won't have a repeat of before, that lad may be one of those 'moonlight titan' for all we know. Hope we capture one someday...!" I shook my head at Hange's fascination, however, I did think about it for a while. "They only need a small ray of light, and they'll immediately come after us. I wonder... Why exactly do they need sunlight to move...?" It wasn't a question to anyone, I was just pondering on the pure titans themselves.

I watched Hange take out a notebook and write my question, making me sweatdrop slightly. I gazed around and found many recognizable insects if I didn't have weapons on me I could easily think I'm camping with my family, I remember my father hunting in woods like these as if it was yesterday, it brought out good memories I didn't know I had.

"I recognize this area. I think... We came here for firewood." Our whole group looked at Mikasa as she glanced at the area. "I can see the foot! There's signs of a trail!" A soldier shouted. I bit my lower lip and glanced at Haco, who was also very nervous. With Yadhi and Acay already awake, we couldn't help but stare in delight at the beautiful field, the district might be destroyed, but it held a certain harmony I could never compare to anything. The sun began illuminating us from behind, and it was time to ride the horses in case titans appear. "Be on guard for Titans hiding in the shadows! Our operation begins now! All troops, switch to ODM gear!" Erwin ordered.

I watched Yadhi and Acay nod at me and Haco before we used our gear to jump over the Wall. The plan is simple enough, two gates to close to isolate Shiganshina, and exterminate any titans left inside. If the enemy knows our plan... That's right, they'll go straight after Eren, but they don't know the Survey Corps have another titan shifter, now I know why Hange wants me to watch over Eren.

"Eren!" I called him, standing next to him along with Armin, Mikasa and Haco. He was shaking when he looked at me. "It's okay, we're here! Haco, change of plans, stay with Hange!" My cousin nodded with a dejected look, he and Armin embraced tightly before running off. Levi ran past us too. "Don't stop! Head for the outer gate!"