15. breakfast in bed

The sun is blocked by thick curtains but that doesn't stop Adalena from rolling over to the sight of a breakfast tray in her California king-sized bed and the sound of the shower running

The night was filled with rest, her eyes closed for most of the time while Adriano softly sang Italian songs, occasionally asking her questions about what she'd relayed after revealing her pregnancy.

Of course she told him about Dean Kory and his ridiculous threat. The black envelope with the offer had been glaring at her from her handbag when they arrived at her penthouse last night.

She told him everything, how Dean knows about Adriano's position, how he proposed to her in return for whatever safety she can get with him seeing as Adriano has oh so many enemies.

Adriano was more concerned about Adalena in that moment considering she was throwing up while telling him.

The silence was thick between the time it took for the shower to turn off and the man to appear in the doorway with a towel wrapped around his waist and a pensive look on his face.

"We're going to Italy." He says, eyes staring her down in all seriousness. "We need to find out more about this Dean Kory but I'd rather you worry about it far away from here, if at all."

Adalena stares at him for a second, brows furrowing in the process, "What the hell are you talking about?" She asks in confusion, though she knew exactly what he was hinting toward, "I'm not going to Italy."

"It wasn't a question, tesoro."

"And it sure as hell didn't sound like a demand." She sits up, sliding a slice of mango into her mouth and onto her tongue as she smirks teasingly at Adriano, "Because you wouldn't try to boss me around, would you, Mr. Santino?"

Adriano remains stoic, "This isn't a joking matter, Lena."

"When did I say it was, Adri?" She rests her back against the cushioned headboard and dips a strawberry into a small dip cup of chocolate. Her nonchalance makes Adriano huff in annoyance. Adalena smirks, "This man can offer marriage proposals until his lips turn blue, that doesn't stop me from staying in the state and going to work —"

Adriano drops the towel and pulls on a pair of boxers, "It's not about fucking marriage proposals, Adalena. It's about the fact that he knows about the family and the fact that he threatened your reputation and Dio sa cosa c'è dopo. (God knows what's next)." He steps into a pair of pants and buckles a belt as he continues, "We don't know who he's working with, what enemies of ours he's acquainted with. We know nothing about this man and we will, just not with you within his reach."

"I can take care of myself." She sighs.

He steps toward her, at reaching to either side of her head as he holds himself up over her. She smiles in bliss as she takes in his scent.

"I know you can take care of yourself, but..." He moved a hand to rest on her belly, "It's my job to take care of you both. Regardless of your stubbornness."

Adalena's smile falls. She rolls her eyes and resists the urge to turn away.

Satisfied with her lack of a response, Adriano takes her face into his grip and gently kisses her lips, "Pack your bags. We leave in two days."

Adalena doesn't admit defeat easily. Matter of fact, she doesn't admit defeat... at all. So for Adriano to get her to shut up like this... she hated it. Yet she couldn't stop herself from staring at him with the deepest look of admiration she could muster.

"You piss me off." She pauses, "And just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean you can push me around, asshole."

Adriano smirks, "When it comes to you resting, I can do whatever I want with you, amore mio."

looooooong overdue and really short but i wanted to get something out to y'all