38. best work yet

"Do you know how interesting it was to watch you and Adalena fuck?"

Gianna's words make my breath hitch in my throat. I wasn't expecting that to leave her mouth, much less have as much impact as it did.

"Getting one of my guys to fly the drone wasn't hard but damn, watching her fuck you the way I used to was." She continues, arms crossing in front of her as she leans back in her seat. The chair was pulled up by one of her goonies moments ago. She glanced at Dean. "Forging your handwriting was the easiest part."

My brows furrow.

"Maybe an orphan?" She scoffs pridefully, "Might've been my best work yet."

As I stare at her, the only question on my mind — the only question that matters apparently — is, "Who the fuck are you?"

I can see a raised hand from the corner of my eye, and my shoulders drop immediately. Gianna flicks her gaze over to Dean, "You may speak."

"Okay, just wanted to make sure you didn't shoot at me again," He puts his hand down, "What the hell are you talking about? You forged my handwriting?"

"Well..." Gianna begins dramatically, rising from her seat, "You, Dean Kory — or Santino, I should say — are just one very tiny pawn in my entire game." Corny but okay. "If you're asking who I am, that feels like something you can figure out yourself."

And with that, one of her goonies appears from behind her and carelessly throws a Manila folder into the cell. It lands by my foot, loose papers and photographs flying from it. A simple glance shows more than I expected — laminated photographs of that moment with Adalena and I in my office.

The same ones we got in the mail, signed by Dean.

"You didn't think this man was stalking you from the bushes, did you?" She tilts her head with a sinister grin on her face, "The only thing Dean ever threatened you with was a marriage proposal. A crappy one, at that."

"It wasn't crappy —"

"You spent all this time thinking Dean was the enemy when he was only your brother." She licks her lips, "He just wanted your attention."

A scoff escapes me, "So did you." Her eyes narrow, "You know what it's like to lose, don't you? I'm sure that's how you felt when I left you for my best friend. Or did you take that as a threat?"

"And what would that be a threat to? I don't think you realize just what you're missing out on, Adriano," She raises her hand, and runs a finger down a single bar of the cell, "I have connections that I'm sure you know about by now. Those Germans were not even my men, but they were more than willing to shoot after you."

I can't stop my smirk, "I guess I have a few too many enemies."

"Yes," She says briefly, almost bored, eyes flickering to her nails, "Too many." The oddity of her statement makes me narrow my eyes. What the fuck else is she keeping from me? "You deserve better than what your baby mother has to offer, but it's clear you don't realize it. And that's okay; I'll help you, but first, I'm sure you remember your old friend."