Fighting Chance

Third Person Narrative (Peter's POV)

They continued to fight Ultron's bots, destroying as many as they could. Peter had never been in a fight like this, it was exhilarating and very tiring. Once they had got through many of the bots, a couple teamed up to destroy Ultron's physical body itself.

"We need to keep evacuating!" Amora yelled over all the noise.

"Someone has to protect the center!" Tony yelled back.

"I can." Wanda replied, "It's my job."

That was the first time Peter had seen something good from Wanda. He knew evil wasn't born, but yet until today Wanda had only caused harm to him. They all separated, most of them going to continue to evacuate and a couple going to stop the generator and let the rock fall. Peter continued to run people to the ship; it had seemed like everyone had got on at this point.

"We gotta get on a ship ourselves." Clint instructed the rest.

"Shit there's another kid over there!" Exclaimed Amora, "Stay here Peter."

Both her and Clint ran over, and Peter followed behind; he couldn't leave her even if it was a few feet away. Before they could react rapid gun fire was coming closer. Clint had the kid in his hands, now covering him praying for the best of outcomes.

"Amora run!" Peter screamed at her.

She looked at him with a glance, a smile, it seemed final. Whatever was about to happen Peter didn't have a good feeling about it. Amora using her magic pushed Peter back away from the gunfire. He watched as she ran forward, conjuring a shield. He saw the glimpse of quicksilver try to protect Clint and the kid too, but yet she was shielding them all. The gunfire had stopped, and the dust was settling. He got up and started running over to where they were. He saw Pietro inspecting himself for gunshot wounds, but then looking up to realise what happened. He could see the blood from there, he could hear her heartbeat getting slower. Before she collapsed she looked at Peter, gasping for air.

"Amora!!" He screamed at the top of his lungs.

Pietro had caught her before her head could hit the ground. They all looked at her, tears in the eyes of everyone around. Peter was breathing heavily, he didn't know what to do. This wasn't the Amora he was familiar with but seeing her die hurt just the same. He could tell she didn't have much time left, his spidey sense could detect it all. He glanced over at her, he counted 12 bullet wounds, there was no survival in this alien or not.

"S-s-Steve." She gasped, "Where's Steve?"

Peter looked at her with tears in his eyes, now moving his bloodied hand to his ear to access the comms.

"Steve, you need to come here now." Peter said shakily, "Amora's down."

At that moment the comms began to crowd with everyone from the team. Overlapping voices asking Peter what the hell had happened and if she was okay. He couldn't get a word in over all the voices so instead he just waited for Steve holding Amora's hand. Steve ran over in what seemed like seconds, he crumbled to the ground grabbing Amora's hand from Peter. All he could do was watch from a distance. Watch her die.

"Amora, I thought I said to walk it off." Steve tried to joke through the tears, anything to make her smile.

He succeeded and got a small weak smile from her as the blood started to pool at the corner of her mouth.

"I-I-I'm sorry." She whimpered.

"Don't you ever be sorry." Steve assured her.

"I love you." She cried, in her final breath.

She glanced around and she saw Peter and everyone else who was there before her eyes glossed over and her heart stopped beating. Peter could hear it clear as ever, the deafening silence. He wasn't with her but it was an experience he was familiar with too. Everything alone with her death came rushing back. Gwen, Uncle Ben, all the tragedy of his life. He watched as Steve continued to cry over her.

"I love you too." He replied sobbing.

"Peter what's going on?" Multiple people on comms again asked him.

He took a deep breath, trying not to let his voice crack.

"She's gone." He said.

Peter couldn't stand to be there anymore, he couldn't watch this unfold. He walked away, not towards the ship but back into the city.

"Peter, you can't go back!" Screamed Clint.

He didn't listen. He continued to walk, the tears welling in his eyes, all hope lost. He sat down on a rock letting his head fall into his hands. His crying became more frequent. Why was this happening? Why did Wanda have to send him here, he thought. He just wanted to find a way back, but in the process the worst happened. Adding the week he'd known Amora plus all the time he had just spent here seeing her die was the last thing he wanted. Was there a point of even trying? He let his thoughts filter through while everyone else screamed at him through the comms to get on an evacuation bed, but he didn't listen. He sat there in silence accepting his fate, he felt the rock begin to shake, that was the end. That was supposed to be his end, but it was interrupted. A star shaped hole beginning to appear in midair was starting to appear. He knew America would be on the other side, but he didn't realise who else would be. As the hole was opened all the way he saw the woman he had just seen died. But it was the one he had met first.

"Peter run through!" Amora yelled at him. She too now saw the ground crumbling below him.

No hesitation was required this time. Peter jumped through the portal leaping to the other side. The portal closed behind him and the nightmare he had just been a part of was over, it was as if he had never existed in that world. The avengers of that world would just presume he was dead and that he had perished in the rock. He looked up to see Amora, and all he could do was smile. She reciprocated. As he ran up he embraced her in a hug lifting her up and laughing happily. He put her down and just smiled at her again.

"I thought I'd never see you again." He stuttered in excitement.

"Here I am." She smiled back at him.

They were reunited, and along with that now they had America. Maybe now they had a fighting chance against what was going to hit them.