Chapter 39

We reach the frigid river soon. My throat is dry and itchy, and my lips are chapped. We spend a good amount of time testing the ice: chucking rocks and things on it, and seeing if it cracks. Parts of the river does fractures, but we eventually carve out a path to cross. We don't tie ourselves together like last time, but rather each carry a spear or a knife: to cling to the ice in case we need to. Laython and I use arrows from our quivers, while Addie and Keaton each take a carefully selected long knife. We decide to cross in pairs. Laython and Keaton, who've never been on ice before, pair up with Addie and I. Addie and Laython wait on the bank as lookouts while Keaton and I cross.

As tumultuous as Keaton and I's journey was across the lake the first time, it was just as smooth this time. We crossed with no hinderances, although Keaton was significantly more nervous this time around, I think. Once the two of us cross the river and scramble onto the stony, snowy bank, I unsling my bow and notch the arrow into it, on alert, as Addie and Laython begin to cross. Laython slips a couple of times, but other than that, both on them manage fine.

"Do any of you know which way next?" I ask my companions.

"That way," Addie says, pointing to the right. "I think."

I feel a thrill, suddenly. All throughout this frigid horrible trek through the woods, Sienna's warning rang like a bell in my head, gnawing at my sanity. It made me achingly desperate to get to Zeke. Now, I just am simply excited to see him. With no small sense of wonder, I realise that ever since I first met Zeke at the Grand Party all that time ago, I've seen him every day since. He's become so integral to my life. The thought of seeing him gives me a newfound inspiration, and I trek through the freezing snow with a little more energy. Just a little.

However, that bounce fades as we walk for what seems like twenty minutes in the direction Addie pointed, but we absolutely no sign of any of our allies.

"Adds, where are they?" I ask her, worried.

Addie stops abruptly. Laython and Keaton bump into her from behind. "They should be here," she says, whipping around to scan the snow blanketed trees. Her red hair is bright and stark against the sow. "We left them here, I'm sure of it."

"Maybe they moved?" Laython quips.

"Yeah, probably," I say, frowning. I think for a moment. "No, they definitely moved. The rain and snow probably drove them away, we should have though of that. They would have left us a sign or something. Come on, let's split up and search."

My voice is strangely shaky, even though my insides are jumping up and down in a frenzy.

I hope they're okay, I hope they're okay, I hope they're okay, I hope he's okay, I hope he's okay.

It's a mantra in my head as I hunt through the snow, the fallen pine needles and the trees. My fingers are numb with cold, and I wonder how they continue to dig through the snow and pine leaves because they feel frozen solid to me.

There has to be something here. There has to be. Zeke would have left something. Finnick would have left something.

I dig around the trees, shoving away snow and needles. Desperation starts to build in me. I'm covered in snow. I barely feel the cold, I barely feel when it starts snowing.

And then Laython is at my shoulder. "Lian, come on." He tugs my shoulder, and slowly hoists me up from where I'm crouched on the grounds. My pants and shirt are soaked through with snow. "Lian come on, it has started snowing."

He leads me over to where Keaton and Addie are standing, huddled together against the falling snow. I notice that Keaton and Addie look equally as worried and frenzied as I feel. However, Laython seems much calmer.