Chapter 43

I crash through the river water, Finnick right by my side. My arms and legs and body is complete agony. I'll dodge the fiery falling branches, steaming river, whatever. I just have to get to Zeke. Or rather, to Zeke and whoever jumped off the cliff with him.

Saved. Yes, maybe. But who other than our allies would save him?

The glowing forest illuminates the water as well, and through the ripples and bubbles, I see two figures in deep in the water below; the jump off the cliff probably propelled them deep down. Around the two figures, I also see a frighteningly large dark red splotch of crimson. I push my hurt legs and arms to go faster. Through the haze of bubbles, ripples, and my rush to get to them, I can't identify the figure yet. As I get closer, though, I see that one of them is supporting the other. The supporter struggles with the weight of who is undoubtedly Zeke, and they're trying to push up to the surface. Short, dark, and unmistakably feminine hair ripples in the water as the two of them rise. They rise higher and higher, almost reaching the surface where I am, bubbles flowing in rivulets.

I stop my swimming sprint and push up to the surface as well. Besides me, I feel Finnick do the same. I break the surface a minute before Zeke and the other girl do. And when I see who jumped with Zeke off the rock, alarm bells, guard bells, warning bells, all the bells that I have, go off simultaneously.

Zora Merakar.

"Finnick," I gasp to him in instruction before ploughing towards Zeke and Zora, but there's no need; he already has a weapon drawn, covering me.

Zora is supporting Zeke, but still, she tries raising her hands in a surrender. The river is shallower here, so my feet touch the rocky river bed as I move towards them. Zora doesn't move or protest as I reach Zeke and sling his arms around my shoulder instead. His face is laced with pain, and all I want to do is address that, but there are other matters at hand. Still facing Zora, I push away towards Finnick, but with all of Zeke's weight on me, I don't move too far.

I'm gasping from my sprint, and also from supporting Zeke, but I still get out with as much strength as I can, "Why."

Zora is gasping and panting as well, but I can tell she knows what I mean. With her hands still raised in surrender, she looks me dead in the eye. "You know why."

And I do know why. She knows what I plan to do (or not do, rather), and wants to join. But still, "No I don't." I say instantly, all my defences raised. "Why." I ask again.

I can hear splashing behind me, and I know my other allies are making a dash to where we are. I feel much better with my feet planted below me, but still all my molecules are on alert. Zora's dangerous. A skilled fighter, and she already killed one of her allies.

"Because I want to join you." Zora says. Her eyes, startlingly electric grey bore into mine. Droplets of water slide down her face, but she doesn't break my gaze.

"You killed your ally." I say, and I feel, rather than see, Finnick tense up next to me.

"And saved yours." Zora fires back, but there is no hostility or aggression in her voice. "Listen, I didn't want to kill Kendall, and I'm not making excuses or justifying myself right now, but it wasn't all black and white. Besides, Finnick saw it all, didn't you?"

I don't let my startlement show. I feel someone come up besides me, and from the corner of my eye, I see Mayra duck underneath Zeke, and take on half of his weight. Zora looks at Mayra, but offers no greeting.

Zeke grunts in pain, and Zora's eyes flash towards him, before darting back to mine.

"Yes I did." Says Finnick in response to Zora's questions, his weapons still drawn.