Chapter 23- The solution

Turns out Zeke just came to the cafe to pick up some stuff. His family members don't need to work extra shifts anymore. Actually, they don't need to work at all. All the tributes' families will receive a hefty sum of money every month, whether they win the games or not. It's sort of like a compensation: your kid suffered so much, we'll give you money for that.

So Zeke makes me a coffee (without soya milk), takes his stuff and leaves, after waving to Addie, Finnick and I. I feel exhausted, even though I didn't do anything much today. Just the very thought of the Capitol Games makes me want to pass out.

So I'm all ready to go back to the Department Compound, when another whirlwind hit's us.

I don't recognise her at first, but soon, the curvaceous frame, streaming auburn hair, and pretty good facial features triggers something at the back of my head.

Finnick's girlfriend.

Or not-really-girlfriend. Whatever it is with them.

She's wearing a boat neck, dull mint green sweater, paired with tea rose coloured shorts. I've got to admit, she does look pretty good, and her fashion sense sends a twinge on envy through me. I glance over as Addie and wince. If I felt jealous because of her fashion sense, I wonder what Addie must be feeling.

She doesn't notice Finnick at first, but the again, Finnick isn't someone you don't really notice. So when her eyes land on Finnick, a stunning smile tugs at her rosy lips.

"Finnick!" she exclaims softly, before making her way to the three of us.

Finnick hesitates for only a really tiny second before standing up and back at her.

"Hi Ariel." he says, sliding an arm around Ariel's really tiny waist. "How are you?"

Ariel gives him a light kiss. "Better now." she says. It makes me raise my eyebrows. That was smooth. "I haven't seen you in what seems like ages."

"Yeah, I've been busy." Finnick says. Then turns to us. "These are my friends, Lilian and Addie."

I'm more than positive that Ariel knows who I am and probably knows who Addie is as well. Her eyes skim over us, almost like she's assessing the enemy. Her amber eyes flit over me briefly before skidding over to Addie, and resting there. They narrow slightly.

I don't know if I should feel thankful or offended that she didn't consider me any 'threat'.

She turns on a smile. "I know who Lilian is," She says in an incredibly friendly manner. "She's the one who you said was like a sister to you, wasn't she?" Ariel asks. Hm. Explains why I wan't considered as a threat. "Is she your sister too?" Ariel goes on to ask Finnick.

I look at Addie, whose almost gone pale in anticipation of that answer, and then turned my raised eyebrows to Finnick.

It's funny how Finnick almost seems to shrink under our gazes. It take effort to hide my smile.

"No." He says finally, regaining his composure. "No, Addie isn't a sister." Finnick says, grinning casually at Addie. "Addie's a friend. I know her really well."

I takes me time to figure out whether Addie just got friendzoned or not.

"I see." Ariel muses. Then she turns back to Finnick. Her arm snakes across his waist. "Are you going to be free today?"

"I-" Finnick's eyes flit over to mine. I shrug helplessly. "I don't really think so..."

Ariel pouts, "Please? It's been so long since we've spent time together." I'm actually quite surprised that Finnick doesn't melt under Ariel's pout right there.