Chapter 7- The grand party

This chapter was a favorite of mine to write

_____

The Grand Party is in the evening, and I swear, mom had been shut in her room the whole afternoon, getting ready.

This time, I really love my dress. It's blue, and really brings out the colour in my eyes.

A thin blue piece of fabric curves it's way around my neck like a choker, and falls down into a shimmering dark blue bodice, that hugs my body very well. The dark glitter fades away as the material reaches my waist, then gently floats down to my knees in reams of creamy satin. Venia, mom's other stylist, comes to do my make up, and dabs some light blue glitter over my bare arms, that sparkles perfectly in the light.

Addie is wearing a green dress that reaches her mid calf, and has green and white pins strewn beautifully in her blazing red hair.

"What do you think?" she asks me, as she holds a tube of eyeliner in her hand.

"If you mean, 'do you think Finnick is going to like it?' then yes, I think he will."

"Shut up," Addie says.

"You look nice." I tell her.

"But this time, I think you are going to own it." Addie comments. "You really look stunning."

"Thanks."

Dad walks in now. "Apparently, Katniss isn't ready yet. I think she looks perfect already."

Addie says "Aww," the sam time I say "Ugh."

"You look decent, Lian." Dad says as he touches my hair.

"Thanks, Dad."

"Wow Adds," he says. "We should just keep you in our house at Christmas. You look like a cute walking-taking-christmas ornament."

I laugh, she did actually.

"Peeta!" Addie complains, but laughs anyway.

"I just cant seem to fix my makeup...." Addie says.

"I'll call one of the stylists to do that for you." Dad says. He peeks out of the door. "Venia!" he calls to her as she walks by our door. "Can you help us with something?"

"Of course!" Venia says as she comes in. "What can I do for you" As Venia is a stylist the gets to keep her makeup and bright purple hair. A rarity for a Capitol citizen.

"Can you fix Addie's makeup for her?"

Venia's smile instantly drops, a twinge of disgust tainting her features and anger suddenly rises in me. Everyone always treats Addie like this. Like she is some sidekick, or worse, some servant.

Addie's face literally plunges to the ground, and tears gloss her green eyes. "It's fine Peeta."

"No." I say, as firmly as possible. I stand up. "Will you do Addie's makeup?" I ask of Venia.

"Um, actually Lilian... I..." she trails off, and I wait for her to complete what she was going to say. The thing is, she doesn't know what to say without sounding downright rude, which we all know will be dreadful for her career. I let the awkward silence build up.

When it reaches the tipping point, I say, "You what? Have to go help my mother? Well I'm sure she will be fine. And if not, I can see to that."

"See, Lian..." silence again and her eyes dart around to try to find a way out of this. Oh, she isn't getting one today.

"Shame, you really should have agreed to help her. Because if she doesn't get this done, then she won't be able to go, and if she doesn't, I don't."