Chapter 30- Nostalgia

"I hope I don't get arrested." Sam mutters under his breath.

"You won't." I reiterate for the thousandth time. "Honestly."

I press the button to the first floor.

"Tell me." I ask Sam, "How did you crack her shell."

A smile blossoms on Sam's face. He chuckles. "It took time," he says. "She, um, she... drove me mad with her snappy attitude, but didn't completely push me away. I stayed, and she then gave up and took the route of almost challenging me to tolerate her."

"Joy."

"She went through something terrible," Sam says, his face turning grave, and a little angry.

The elevator dings.

"Which I'll tell you some other time?"

I nod, as I lead him to Mayra's door.

I gesture for him to knock. He does, and I flash him a smile and a thumbs up.

"For the last time, Calla." Mayra's annoyed, muffled voice sounds. "I don't have shampoo. And I'm not opening this door."

I can see a grin curl onto Sam's lips, and I slowly back away, disappearing around the corridor. "Lucky I'm not Calla," Sam says, leaning his hand on the door.

A pause and there's a sound of vigorous scrambling on the other side of the door before it flies open.

Mayra squeals. Squeals, before throwing herself onto Sam, and I actually wonder if she has a split personality that only Sam can bring out.

Sam's laugh echoes down the hallway, and still sounds in my head when I reach my room.

————————————

My room door opens and Addie steps in.

I grin at her from my position lying down on my stomach on the bed. "Yes?"

She walks and sits down beside me. I don't say anything as she shakes her head, and pulls her head into her hands. "Dude, what did I do?"

"To be honest," I say, "it was awesome."

Addie shakes her head, her red curls bouncing. "Oh god. Oh god, I messed up everything."

I discard the list of tribute names I have in front of me, and turn to her. "Messed what up?"

"Everything."

"What's everything?"

"This." she gestures around the room. "This amazing friendship that we had."

"Have." I correct her. Then I soften my voice. "Why do you think it's messed up?"

"It's going to be so awkward." Addie says, as she puts her head in her hands again. "And did you see his face? He looked... off. I think he cared for her, Lian."

I consider it. "Yeah, maybe he did. But he ended it with her, right? And you said so yourself that it was all for show."

"Yeah." Addie mumbles.

"So?" I prompt.

"Well, it wasn't." Addie says finally, and takes her face out of her hands, snapping it to me. The dark sky from the window behind Addie makes her red hair stand out as she faces me. "Not for me. I kissed him because I wanted to. Not entirely because Ariel was a snake."

I just look at her, silently letting her continue. 

"What." she snaps. "Don't look at me like that."