Chapter 25- The Reapings

It a cloudy day. The sun's obscured by clouds and the winter air of the Capitol bites at my face. Our little procession, Mom, Haymitch, Annie, Sam, Finnick, Effie, Addie and I walk down the street to a small clearing reserved for us and the other mayors and their families, the whole time escorted by a mass of peacekeepers with guns.

I've been observing those guns. In case I need to deal with them.

I walk beside Mom and Addie, while Finnick walks with his mother. Sam seems uncharacteristically quiet today as he sulks between Effie and Haymitch. Dad had to be in front with the President as all the Mayors are required to be.

Even thought Finnick, Addie and I are completely prepared, rechecking and filing all the loopholes, I still feel queasy. It's actually going to happen. Once again, I check to make sure my birth card is tucked safely in a pocket in my coat.

As we walk in the aisle between the masses of Capitol citizens, I try searching for Zeke. I try looking out for any familiar faces, but I'm only greeted by the similar brown haired, grey-eyed stares.

Everyone looks solemn. I remember watching the Capitol citizens before the rebellion on the tapes of the previous games. They all looked so lively, so colourful and jubilant. Granted, it was a tad bit extra, but I can't believe these are the same people who were so full-of-life, so extraordinarily happy.

No, I think. These weren't the same people. These are their descendants, not the same people.

President Paylor and the mother mayors get used into a path to the department varandah. The rest of us settle into our space, and after what seems like ten minutes, the grand wooden doors of the department building open with a load groan. President Paylor steps out into the large verandah, and walks confidently straight up to the podium right in front.

All the mayors of the districts follow her, positioned in the usual diverging V formation.

None of them are smiling. All of them look rather grave.

"Citizens of Panem." President Paylor starts. I'm sure she is being broadcasted to all the districts of Panem. "This day signals the beginning of the last and final Hunger Games. The Capitol Games. All citizens of the Capitol between the ages 13-19 will have a minimum entry of one slip into these bowls." She gestures to large round bowls, that have a red velvet cloth covering them from top to bottom, leaving an opening for someone to put their hand through and draw out the names from the top. I frown, remembering how in the previous games, the bowls were transparent, so that everyone could see the chits of paper in them. I realise that this must be a way to ensure only the people they had picked earlier will get picked right now.

"Twelve girls and twelve boys will be selected to participate in the Games. May the odds be ever in your favour."

No one claps, and I have a feeling that no one was supposed to. The president walks back from the podium, and a young woman no more than thirty starts ascending the steps to it.

She is wearing a long white gown, that all but merges with her pale skin. Her footsteps are inaudible as she climbs up the stairs, making me feel that she probably hasn't worn any shoes. Her slim frame is carried delicately, but elegantly, her chin up and back straight.

Long dark hair cascades down her back, making her long hauntingly beautiful.

"Who is that?" I ask Mom.

"Caroline Snow." She whispers back. "President Snow's granddaughter."

I watch as Caroline moves to stand between the two bowls, one for girls and one for the boys.

There is no mike in front of her, but when she speaks, her voice is carried all over the Square. But her voice is soft, quiet, making me wonder if there are mikes lining the railing of the verandah.