Chapter 35- The Games begin

Nerves were always something foreign to me. Even in the rare times I experienced it, like before my first interview, before my first date with Nate, it was something so alien, so unusual, that it made my mind go into such a frenzy of thought, that I could barely focus on what was in front of me. Now, sitting with Sienna I didn't just feel nervous, but all those extra emotions everyone hates: anxiety, fear, apprehension, regret. Guilt.

I fidget with my outfit: thick, hugging, but comfortable black pants, a thin sleeveless white undershirt, a dark blue full-sleeved outer shirt, and a navy jacket made of a tough, sturdy material. I can only assume that it might be chilly where we are going.

I feel a hand grip my own. I look up to meet Sienna's grey eyes surrounded by sparkly black makeup. "You're doing this for Zeke."

Zeke. I feel something lodge in my throat just thinking about him.

"Two minutes till ascension" says a soothing computerised voice, I eye the glass tube in front of me.

It's large, and goes straight through the ceiling of the room we're in, leading obviously to the arena. The glass door slides open with a hiss, that sounds annoyingly taunting.

Sienna stands up, and looks to me. I stand up too, and allow her to adjust my outfit, but my eyes remain on that glass door.

This is it.

And then inexplicably, I think of District 12, a month ago.

I was so blissfully unaware of so much. And so carefree. I think of school, and how I never really put effort into it. I had everything that I needed and wanted and more. I remember how I was back then; safe, entitled, superior to everyone around me. I would never worry about a single thing. I had it all: all the food, all the clothes, all the resources, and all the security that I could possible need.

And the moment I step onto that metal plate behind the glass door, all that would be gone.

No, says a voice in my head. It stopped the moment you met the boy with grey-green eyes.

I feel an arm on my back and on instinct, I flinch away from it.

"Sorry," I murmur to Sienna.

"No, it's okay." she says, but I feel ashamed at the surprise I see in her eyes. "It's good. You need to be overly cautious. Remember, try to be yourself. Open up. It's the best shot you all have."

"30 seconds to ascension. Please step onto the metal plate."

Sienna places her hand on my back again, this time much more lightly, and guides me to the tube.

I take a deep breath and look down at the steps that lead into the tube. I lift my leg and let my boot fall on the first step, when I hear Sienna say,

"Wait,"

I turn around, my high ponytail swishing as I look at her.

Then she reaches up on her tiptoes to wrap her arms tightly around my shoulder.

"Sienna, I'll be fine." I say shakily.

"No you won't." she says bluntly. "No you won't." She says again, and there's an edge of panic in her voice. "They won't make it easy, Lian. They want a victor, they want to show the nation who has control. Public opinion is powerful, but we never know how-" She breaks off. "We just never know. The Department doesn't want a bunch of rebellious teenagers. No matter how adored they are." Sienna says quickly and harshly, which does absolutely nothing to quell the roaring apprehension I feel in every single cell of me.

"But you," she says firmly. "You need to keep going. Don't give up Lian. Remember, you need to keep them safe." Sienna breaths. "And one last thing: Keep Zeke close."