Chapter 6- Mayors' Dinner

"Your live seems full of fancy dresses and fancy parties." I tell Mom as Slaxie, one of the members of her prep team put on solitaire earrings for her.

"Oh trust me Lian, it was much more than that." Mom replies, her grey eyes strong as always.

"Yeah, but now it's all party. Not that I'm complaining, you deserve it."

Mom shrugs. "It gets annoying after some time."

I dont argue.

"So Finnick, Addie, Sam and I have to hang around the lounge, while you guys have dinner with the other mayors?" I ask her, even though I know the answer.

"That's what Effie said. I honestly think you guys are better off. You get the same food, but don't have to sit in a room full of boring talk." Mom says, looking bored already. "I wonder why Peeta agreed to be the mayor anyway."

"They would have called you anyway, Mom. You're Katniss Everdeen."

"Mellark." she corrects.

"It doesn't matter, really,"

"True." Mom gets up from the vanity table, as Slaxie gestures that she is done. She grins at me"Remember to try the lamb stew with the dried plums. It's honestly the best."

I grin back. "Will do."

———

What can I say about our little group? Finnick looks 'drop dead gorgeous' as Addie puts it, Sam looks good, Addie looks good, and I look fabulous. At least that's what Effie says. I am wearing a long red sheath dress, that has a spaghetti strap neckline. I don't think I look too great. The dress is uncomfortable and will make me feel really cold. Not really what I would prefer considering the weather, but there will be heaters inside, so I didn't fuss much.

The teenagers were put in the 'lounge'.

Like hell it was a lounge.

It was massive, with expensive furniture, and a gargantuan array of food and non alcoholic drinks. Some of the older kids complained, but I didn't even bat an eyelid. It was splendid. I stuff myself silly, and hope the others don't notice.

Finnick already attracted a mob of girls, who just won't go away. Normally Finnick basks in the attention, but these girls were over the top. They all were from boisterously rich families, and didn't want to hide the fact. They proudly displayed it with their large gems and latest dresses. To try and get them away, Finnick pulls Addie away from me, and keeps her by his side, his hand never leaving her waist. Addie doesn't complain.

Sam is chatting with Mayor Chad's children, so I head over to the drinks table and grab a sparkling blue beverage, that matches the colour of my eyes. I take this time to look around

Most of the waiters are Capitol people. Mom told me that before, the citizens of the capitol used to colour their hair and skin, imprint tattoos on their body, and do anything to keep up with the latest trends. Now, as they are looked down upon, they don't really have access to these facilities. Now, I notice that most of them have light brown hair, and eyes ranging from hazel to green. I catch sight of one of the waiters. His light brown hair is spiked messily, and his eyes are soft and grey, almost green, like the grass that grows in the woods during winters. He looks up and catches me staring at him. I try to cover it up with a smile, and it makes me happy that he smiles back. He has a really boyish face, and when he smiles, even thought it'd brief, it accentuates his features. he raises his eyebrows in a way that clearly asks, 'Can I help you?'

I politely shake my head. 'No, I'm good.'

He smiles and turns back to his work.

It's not long before someone joins me. I look up to see who I can recollect as Ivan, Mayor Lyme's grandson. He had blond hair, and grey eyes. His eyes weren't like Mom's at all. While Mom's were fierce, his were cool and breezy.