Chapter 9- Give and Take

My head whips to Finnick as my entire body suddenly fills with shock. Another Hunger Games. I see the same shock mirrored in my eyes as Finnick looks at me. There are loud murmurs running throughout the crowd and I look around. Then, even more shock, and even fear, fills me as I realise that all the Capitol citizens are no longer there in the place.

I frown. Why?

"This Hunger Games that will be the final and the last one of ever to be held, but it will be different." the president continues. "The male and female tributes will be reaped form the youths of the Capitol."

I whip back up to look at Finnick. His brow is furrowed, and I don't think I have ever seen him more startled as he looks back at me. But I know that this isn't the time to talk, so I look away. No wonder all the capitol citizens have been taken away.

"It will be called the Capitol Games." President Paylor says. "And the reapings will be conducted in two weeks time. Every male and female in the age group 13-18 will have a least one slip of paper in the bowls with their name."

She steps back, her face still grave, as a smiling Plutarch Heavensbee takes her place.

"But, ladies and gentlemen," he says in a very very cheerful voice that makes me feel sick, "For now, let us continue our grand party!"

I stare just stare.

How can they announce such a serious even and then tell everyone to continue 'enjoying' the feast.

My brows furrow. Everyone said that the Hunger Games were horrible, barbaric, inhumane. How is it that now, they are planning another one?

I feel my arm being grasped back and I turn to the person. Haymitch.

He has a smile on his face that contrasts with my confused look, and that makes me even more confused.

"Lian!" he says and I can make out that his enthusiasm is fake. Because I've known him since I was born. No one else would've been able to guess. "dance with me, will you?"

I eye him warily but take his outstretched hand.

As we start dancing he pulls me closer and I feel his breath on my neck. "Okay Lian. You look like you've only just been told that Katniss Everdeen is your mother. I don't think I've seen anyone who looks more lost. You better clean that up, at least for the cameras."

I blink and she my head lightly. "No, it's just that the whole Hunger Games thing just really surprised me." I say. "I mean for seventeen years everybody has just been ranting about how crude the games were and now they are planning one themselves?"

Haymitch says, "I know. But it was decided long back and was among one of the first thing written after we got united and independent and all. And the funnier thing," he looks around and drops his voice to a dramatic whisper. "They only found that piece of paper this year." he chuckles. "So much for everything being in the bloody computers. Some genius wrote it down in a book. You have no idea what a shit storm the Department has brewing inside it."

"Wow."

"Yeah. I always hated computers. Now I hate them even more."

I look at him. "But haymitch, what has any of this got to do with Primrose Everdeen?"

Haymitch frowns. "Prim?"

I nod uncertainly. "Dad said...."

"Oh." realisation floods Haymitch's face. He glances around to make sure we aren't being tagged by any camera, but plasters a smile on his face just in case. "Do you know how these games were decided? All the remaining victors had to vote if they were in favour it or not, and Peeta voted against. Whereas your mom..." he sighed and rubbed a hand over his face, and in that moment, it strikes me how much Haymitch really cares about Mom. Like a parent or a guardian.