Chapter 28- Oh, Shoot

Today was the start of our training days. An outfit was set out for us: black leggings with a textured back shirt, both of them having blur highlights running down the sides and backs. The material was thick and of a very good quality. After showering, I put on the clothes, and tied my hair into a high ponytail. The boots that were laid out for me were also very fine. They were long with double laces. I made my way to the lift on our floor. Addie and I shared one floor in the tall building we were put in. As I pressed the button for the lift and waited for it to come, I saw Addie walking towards me. Her outfit was identical to mine, and she had tied her hair into two neat, but still gorgeous french braids. She was adjusting the hemline of her shirt, and muttering to herself.

"Hey," I greeted when she came nearer.

Addie turned her tensed face up to me and softened it into a smile. "Hey."

"You good?" I asked.

She took a deep breath. "Yup. Hunger Games Day 1." she said. "And don't apologise, Lian."

I grimace. "I don't know what else I could say to you."

Addie huffs. "Um, okay, how about... What our strategy is for today."

"Strategy?"

"Um hm."

"Okay, well..." I trail off, thinking. "I haven't really thought about it. Maybe, be friendly, but not overly so. Like, they should know we are serious and mean business, but we'll try to be welcoming and polite to anyone who comes to talk to us."

"So basically, confident, but not bitchy." Addie concludes.

"Yeah." I say, nodding.

"Yeah." She repeats. "And by 'we' we mean... You, me, Finnick and Zeke?"

"Yes." I say, then as an afterthought add, "And we need to get to know one other girl."

"Who?"

"Mayra Lyrainne." I say.

"Oh, is she the one with blondish hair?" Addie asks, and I'm pleasantly surprised that she remembers her name.
"Yeah."

"Okay. Why, though?"

I needed to tell Addie anyway, and now is probably a good time as any. But as I opened my mouth to say something, the elevator dinged, revealing Finnick and Kace.

So I shot Addie a glance telling her that I would tell her later, before we got into the elevator.

An uncomfortable silence settled in between us as the elevator started moving. And Addie, being Addie, broke it with pleasantries.

"Morning." she said to Finnick and Kace, smiling at them both.

Finnick offered her a smile back, and Kace said "Good morning."

After sensing another lapse of silence, Addie said, "Ready for training?"

"Not at all," Kace replied.

Suddenly remembering that I needed to make allies, I let out a chuckle at Kace's frankness.

I subtly see Finnick raise an eyebrow at me, but ignore it for the time being.

Kace seems genuinely very very surprised at my chuckle, and I suppress a grimace- I need to try to be less formidable.

But he recovers and gives me a small smile.

The elevator dings again, and the doors slide open to reveal Zeke. He looks a little breathless as the doors open, as if he ran to catch the lift.

"Hey," he says as he spots me in the lift. "Not late am I?"