Chapter 33- The reveal

Interview dresses up there

_______________________

Our last two training days pass by fairly normally. I keep telling myself that I will tell out little group about my whole plan, but I never get to it. I keep thinking about doing it after training hours, but there was no time when all of the group was at the Seventh Floor.  Whenever there is a brief lapse in conversation at our lunch table I think about saying something but worry about other people overhearing.

Maybe it's just me who's putting it off. Finnick suggested that we should set up a meeting.

But I've decided now, I'm going to let the whole thing unravel after the interviews.

We've come up with a plan: they're going to ask about why I volunteered, and like I did with Plutarch, I'm going to say that I'm in love with Zeke.

Each interview lasts for a total of two minutes, and my guess is that everyone will be so occupied with my declaration, because it's so similar to what Dad did in the Quarter Quell, that at least a minute's going to get spent in that. Then Sienna expects at least half a minute of people 'drooling at my outfit' and the introductions.

The rest half of a minute is up to me to tackle. And I've practiced: I'm going to say that I'm not in the Hunger Games to kill and win. That's it, no elaboration. Let the audience think what they want on that.

Then time will up, and that will be that. The games start the morning after interviews, so I'm going to have to round up our little group and tell them about my plan after the interviews. Then it will be their their choice whether they want to trust me or not.

Me, Addie, Finnick, Zeke, Kace, Mayra, Laython, Keaton, Kylie, Calla, and Sean. That's the alliance for now.

Without really meaning to, I mentally sort out the protectors from the ones who need protecting. The fighters: Finnick, Mayra, Kace, Keaton, me, maybe Laython and Zeke. The ones who need protecting: Kylie, Calla, Sean, Addie, and again, probably Laython and Zeke.

Every tribute used the training centre really well, and I think each of them knew how to handle at least one weapon.

This time, the prep takes the whole day. And by this stage, I'm bored out of my mind. The prep's being going on as usual: waxed (and it was the worst thus far), soaked, scrubbed, moisturised, massaged, then started the boring part of face masks, pedicures and manicures, while I had to sit and do nothing. My hair was recoloured as well: it was now a glossy, smooth, wavy mass of black streaked sparingly with golden.

Finally, finally, I was ready for the dress, makeup and hair. This time, only Sienna and the young girl from before remained in the room, all the others wished me luck in the games, some going so far as to even embracing me, before leaving.

"More blue fabric this time?" I ask Sienna between the hissings and the clacks of hair straighteners and curlers.

"Oh, no." Sienna says. "You'll see."

So I wait patiently as she does my makeup and hair, this time much slower, and with much more precision than for the parade.

I put on the dress then, and when I slip into the black platform heels and stare at myself in the mirror, I don't know what to say.

The dress is a sparkly rich golden colour. The cowl neckline flows into a sheath that hugs my midriff, then flares out ever so slightly and gracefully until it brushes the floor.

It makes me look magnificent. Bold and beautiful. And I love it.

"I love it." I tell Sienna honestly.