CH:5- Dilemma of Trust and Distrust

Haseena was working in her cabin when Radha entered with a cup of tea for her, "Maddam Sir aap pichle teen ghante se apne cabin main band hai aur kuch khaya bhi nahi hai, you should eat something at least," She said in a concerned voice.

"Kuch kaha tum ne," Haseena couldn't make out what Radha had said, she looked at her confusedly.

"Kuch kha lijiye," Radha repeated herself once again, "aapne kuch khaya hi nahi hai."

A smile appeared on Haseena's face, "I'll eat something after I'm done with this file," she replied.

Radha didn't press her more, she shook her head in an understanding manner and was about to leave the cabin when Haseena's voice stopped her.

"Pushpa Ji zyada kaam to nahi le rahi tum se," Haseena asked while taking a sip of tea.

"Nahi Maddam Sir," Radha replied meekly, "all this wedding preparation is keeping me busy and it had helped me to come out from my worries."

Haseena looked at Radha who was a young widow of thirty-three to thirty-four with very handsome features, "why didn't you consider remarrying?" She asked while getting up from the chair.

"You know how difficult the life of a widow is," tears started brimming in Radha's eyes. "I went to my parent's house because my in-laws don't want me to stay in their house after my husband's demise and they don't have any reason to because I was unable to give them their 'warris'." Her voice broke, "my parents are poor villagers and they don't have enough to support them, so, I couldn't stay there except a few days," a sob escaped her mouth, "so, I left their house and came here to find some work," she wiped off her tears with her Saree's pallu, "I'm lucky that I got this job through Pushpa Ji."

Haseena listened to her with her full attention, "if you ever need anything or any help; just remember you can always reach out to me, okay," she assured Radha as she pressed her shoulder gently, "there is not much work here in the station anyhow, you can stay with Pushpa Ji if you want."

"Nahi, maddam sir, hum aa sakte hain yahan per rozana ek se do ghante ke liye," Radha almost blurted out in a rush.

Haseena didn't refuse her request, "jesa theek lage tumhe," she turned towards her desk.

Radha was moving out of the cabin when she heard Haseena's phone ring, "Ji Sir, nahi abhi koi lead nahi mili, theek hai aap woh address humain text kar dijiye hum ja kar check kar lete hain, ji sir, ji sir, jase hi kuch pata chalta hai hum aap ko bata dain gaye."

Haseena turned after finishing her call and found Radha still standing there, "Kuch chahiye Radha?" she asked as she sat on the chair.

"Nahi bus aapko kuch batana tha," She said in a polite manner.

"Kya?" Haseena asked as she opened her file.

"Aap bahar se hi nahi andar se bhi bahut Haseen insaan hai," her voice carried an admiration for Haseena.

A slight smile crept on Haseena's lips after hearing Radha's sentence and before she could say anything in response to her, Karishma entered Haseena's cabin. As soon as Karishma entered, Haseena's lips went into a straight line which didn't go unnoticed by Karishma. However, Radha left the cabin without making any noise.

"I'm done with the patrol earlier today, do you need any help, Maddam Sir?" Karishma asked as she stood opposite Haseena with her handheld at her back.

Haseena didn't respond to her.

Karishma cleared her throat once again, "aap ko koi madad chaye yahan per, Maddam Sir," she asked with utmost patience, "Pushpa Ji ne bataya ke kuch pending files hain jin per aap kaam kar rahi hai."