CH:7- Words that remain Unspoken!

The next morning everyone was having breakfast when Salma Bi arrived and sat next to Haseena and opposite Karishma.

"Toh kya irada hai?" Noor Jahan Begum asked, casually.

"Kis baat ka?" Haseena asked as she sliced an apple.

"Shaadi ka!" Noor Jahan Begum replied agitatedly this time.

Haseena's hand stopped in the mid-air as she was about to take a bite of an apple, she peeked at Karishma from the corner of her eyes, who was enjoying her morning meal; a glint of playfulness appeared in Haseena's eyes, "Woh to ho gayi hai na, meri," she answered with poker as she took a bite of her apple.

Karishma choked on her food as soon as Haseena's word hit her eardrum, her eyes met Haseena's, who was grinning ear to ear as she enjoyed her own statement, a lot. However, this small unnoticeable eye lock was observed by Bi, very closely.

"Kis se?" Noor Jahan Begum asked in a rushed tone. However, Salma Bi just remained calm and leaned back on her chair as she observed the scene played out in front of her.

"Kaam se!" Haseena pat Picasso, who was just hanging around her, "aap kya samji?" She asked as she glanced at her mother and then at Karishma, who was staring at her disruptively. However, a loud chuckle escaped from Bi's mouth, who was finding the situation very entertaining.

"Samjhalo is ko," Noor Jahan Begum uttered in an irritated manner as she looked at Salma Bi.

"Bacchi thodi hai," Salma Bi spoke in favor of Haseena, "aapna bhala bura sab janti hai," she made eye contact with Haseena, "Kyu, sahi keh rahi hai na hum?" She winked at her.

Haseena fumbled a little at Salma Bi's response, "Aure nahi to kya," she said as she got up and started limping towards the main door and Picasso just followed her, as usual.

"Dhkeo isko hath apon thudwati rehti hai," Noor Jahan Begum was still in no mood of leaving Haseena alone, "Kon kare ga iss se shadi, agar yeh ase hi rahe gi?"

Haseena stopped in between her tracks, "Pheli baat, haat apon jodne ke liye doctor hain," she held Picasso in her arms, "aur yeh kya kon kare gaa muje se shaddi," she said in a gruff voice as she ran her finger through Picasso's fur, "aap ko yeh sochna chaiye, woh kon hoga, jis se mein shaddi karna pasand karo gi," she put Picasso back down and came to get her phone from the table, "that person will be honored—-whom, I'll marry," she glanced at Karishma, who was watching her every move and then, she looked at her mother, "aap itni padhi likhi ho kar kesi outdated baatain karti hain," she shook her head in disapproval and her voice carried disappointment.

At Haseena's response, Salma Bi's laughter echoed in the room, once again. However, Karishma didn't know how to respond, and Noor Jahan Begum was stunned by her daughter's presence of mind as she outsmarted her.

"Is se kaho ammi na khai muje," Noor Jahan looked towards Slama Bi displeasingly after being deeply affected by Haseena's word.

"Okay! If that's what you want," Haseena picked up the phone as she looked at Salma Bi and Karishma, who were surprised at her words, "Shaam ko milte hain, Noor Behan," she hugged her mother as she walked out of the room.

Salma Bi and Karishma both sighed after finding the situation still under control.

"Mein kya karo is ladki ka," Noor Jahan sighed frustratingly, "Mahino gayab ho jati hai, kabhi case ke chaker mein aur kabhi course ke chaker mein," she made an eye contact with Salam Bi, "kese ho gi is ki shaadi?" She placed her hand over her chair, "agar kal ko muje kuch hogaya toh, yeh?" her voice became more gentle as she spoke, "isko lagta hai, ise bhoat aqal hai, lekin hai yeh nahayat hi bewakoof," she took a deep breath, "bhoat fikar hain humain iski."