2 | Hurricane

________________

Surfing In A Hurricane by Jimmy Buffett

"I ain't afraid of dying."

________________

2020
____________

Y/N sat on the bar counter as her mother, looked over the place's books.

"We are doing very well, not even having to go into savings," Camila said with her Spanish accent as she looked up at her daughter.

"That's great, mamá," the curly-haired girl smiled at her mother, with the same accent, "I'm glad the bar is so popular- but still under the radar..."

"Me too, hija," Camilla sighed with a small smile, and patted her daughters leg as she looked back at the books, "we're safe."

"And we're together."

"Yes, we are."

Y/N smiled as she looked out at the ocean, and after a few minutes she smiled, "I'm going to go for a surf, and I'll be back tonight for dancing-" she nodded as her mother stopped her before she could leave.

"Hija, there's a hurricane coming; we will be closed, and you are not going surfing-"

"But the swells-"

"Go straight home," Camila nodded, "I'll be home in a few hours after I finish up."

"Okay," Y/N sighed and drove her bike back to their home in the cut.

Y/N walked inside their home that was on the beach and went to her room. The girl thought about how far they'd come in the past nine months. Nine months ago, she was still living in Cuba then, her mother moved them to the Outer Banks to lay low. Her mother then brought a small beach house in the cut and fixed up an old bar, opening it and it becoming packed every night for the last seven months, since January.

In the time she's been in the Outer Banks, she hasn't made many friends besides the cut kids that would come by the bar all the time. She's also had to lay low, so she just did school, work, surf and dance. Her mother and her were super close, and they looked out for each other.

Now that it's summer break, the girl worked at the bar and had fun. Her mother manned the bar, and she was in charge of taking care of guests, music and getting everyone to dance. She didn't make many friends at school, yet she knew everyone, and everyone knew her. She didn't take crap from the kooks and would put anyone in their place, which many respected how she had no fear, and how she could throw a punch.

She'd see most of the same faces, but since they opened she would see his face a few times a week. They'd make eye contact, share smiles or little flirty comments as they would walk by each other, but after their first conversation in February, they just teased each other. When he would come, he's always get food when he knew she would be making it: And when Y/N would noticed a new bloody nose or lip, on the poor boy. She's always bring him a dessert, or food, even when she knew he couldn't pay.