Chapter 74: Taking Space

"How's she holding up?"

"She won't eat," Liz whispered back to Chloe.

"Has she tried calling him?"

"No. She thinks he hates her."

"He has nothing to hate her for."

"You try telling her that."

Molly had enough of her two friends speaking about her as if she wasn't there on the couch next to them. "Guys. Please. Stop."

"It's been three days."

"I should go study in my room. I can't get anything done around you two."

Molly took her textbook with her to her bedroom, shutting the door behind her. She threw the book on the bed and walked over to her window. There was no chance she was going to be able to study in her state of mind. She needed to distract herself but for the first time, school wasn't coming to her aid.

Looking out the window, she froze. Tears flooded her eyes. Nick was on his driveway, getting out of his car. Sammy was there running into his arms and jumping up about something.

Molly backed away from the window and fell onto her bed. Her hand came to hold the locket around her neck and she thought back to the night he had given it to her.

"Hi Norman," Nick answered his phone as he got out of the bathroom from showering.

"Nicholas. How are you doing, dear?"

"Good. How are you? It's been quite some time."

"I'm alright. I heard Molly's brother is awake and well."

"Yes."

"How is she?"

He didn't know how to answer; he was a horrible liar. "She went to go see him."

"I'm sure she's happier than ever."

"I'm sure," his voice cracked.

"Are you alright, son?"

He pressed his lips together and then took a deep breath. "Yes."

"What's wrong?"

Without control, he cried into the phone.

"What's wrong?" Norman asked quickly in concern.

"I messed everything up, Norman."

"What did you mess up?"

"What I had with Molly."

"What do you mean?"

Nick took a deep breath. "I don't want to get into it now."

"Dear, what happened?"

"I snapped at her. I've never snapped at her."

"About what, son?"

"There's this friend of hers who's crazy about her. It's like he's trying to win her over now that I was with her. He was always texting her and calling her. He all of a sudden needs her help with all his classwork."

"Am I hearing that you're jealous or worried?"

Nick shook his head and sat on the corner of his bed. "I don't know."

"Listen, dear, Pam didn't have male friends. She had her girlfriends; I had my male friends. That's just how it was for us. But times have changed. I would understand the jealousy if I were in your place. But jealousy because she is giving time to a friend who is a guy is different from fear of losing her to another guy."