Blood for blood - Chapter 8

SILENCE filled the tense atmosphere, with the occasional blast of the AC

SILENCE filled the tense atmosphere, with the occasional blast of the AC. Callie tore at her nail-beds with her teeth, fighting the urge to break down and cry like a baby all over again. Which was funny, considering she had been acting like an adult on her birthday, when she had followed a stranger out the club and into an alleyway, because he was attractive, hoping to get a taste of adulthood.

She wished she would've just stayed home and spent the rest of her night drawing, and eating cake with her family, though, she couldn't dwell over her past stupid decisions. It would only end up with her feeling sorry for herself.

After unfolding her legs, Callie cast another look at Alec, and his pretty emerald eyes. Who looked like he would just about rather spend his day doing something else other than escorting her to her certain death.

He glanced over at her impassively. Posing a silent question in the seriousness.

What?

''What day is it?'' She asked, not sure if he would actually answer her or not.

He seemed to have an internal struggle with himself, before he un-pocketed his cell-phone and checked the date. Slipping it back into his pocket.

''Wednesday.''

She didn't know what to do with the newly processed information. They had been on the road for three days. It'd been three days since her birthday, and her kidnapping, and yet she couldn't seem to recall a single thing from the past two days.

What if he took advantage of her vulnerable state? What if-- No. She cleared her mind of all her thoughts. Think. She needed to think.

And though he hadn't verbally or physically expressed anything about it, she still had a feeling he was disappointed in her. Disappointed at the fact she hadn't tried anything stupid like an escape attempt.

She caught herself right before her eyes dropped to the gun laying in his lap, playing with her hands in her lap.

Yeah, she could be stupid, self-destructive and suicidal at times, but she wasn't willingly going to insert herself into a situation that would likely get her shot, and killed. For that matter. And that's assuming he has good aim, if he didn't. She probably would be paralyzed from bottom up, with a painful bullet wound to the spine, and an ugly scar to match.

''Can you at least tell me where you're taking me?'' Her mouth moved before she could stop herself.

He made no indication of hearing her, running his fingers back and forth over the slants and ridges of the handgun. But after a moment of letting the question waft in the air, he answered. Eyes holding such distance, that the distance here and back home didn't even matter. His tongue darted out, wetting his dry lips. ''You'll see.''

She didn't like the sound of that, but before she could dwell on it for too long, a tall uncoordinated building came into her view. A building that normally wouldn't have come off as shady in her eyes if she were driving past it, but after her experience of following boys into dark alleyways, passing-out, and being kidnapped and thrown into the back of a car with a stranger, and driven to some secret place, everything looked shady from her perspective.