Blood for blood - Chapter 44

THE pressure wave causing the sound was very abrupt, so the sound was very sharp, and very loud

Callie blinked in slow motion, as if she were walking in a dream, and everything around her was figments of her imagination.

There were too many ways to describe how she was feeling, too little time.

She felt as if her heart had stopped working completely, or was skipping, or catching. Shock kept her frozen, and rooted in her place.

Her stomach twisted painfully, in a way that was worse than cramps. Her hands flew to her chest in an attempt at lessening the hurt she felt inside, goosebumps littered about every inch of her skin, Her breaths were slow, harsh, and there was a pain in her shoulders. Constricting muscles.

The time seemed to be slowing down, and she was barely able to comprehend what she was seeing and hearing.

But in a split second, that all changed, and she was tending to Alec's side, clutching the bloody area with both her hands as he gargled on his own blood.

Apply pressure. Apply pressure. Apply pressure. The words rang in her head, like a constant melody, that promised bad times, and even death.

Apply pressure, Apply pressure, Apply pressure-

Blood.

So much blood.

She shook her head, brushing back a fierce clump of hair. Apply pressure.

She did that and prayed that this stopped the bleeding, that Alec would make it until someone else could help.

But even as she held the area surrounded in blood, with fingers squeezed together as tight as she could possibly squeeze them, the blood still managed to flood the wound, and Alec's pained grunts seemed to be the only thing she was hearing.

The gunfire had long since faded, or at least she couldn't come out of her own world long enough to hear them.

Even as she brought her best self to tend to him, to meet his eyes, his Emerald green eyes, and be fully there for him in that moment, her nostrils were filled with the rusty smell of his blood, and there was a painful lurching in her stomach, and her heart.

''No, no, no,'' She pleaded, cupping his jaw, and tilting his head to keep his eyes open. ''You're okay,'' She said, more to herself. ''Stay with me, Alec. Stay with me please, you're all I have left.''

His breaths came out as heavy pants. As if their were a huge weight on his chest, that was extremely painful to breathe out of.

His skin was pale.

Deathly pale.

''Alec.'' She called again, shaking him.

His eyes peeled open just a fraction.