Blood for blood - Chapter 23

IT was a cry.

A hysterical cry emitting from a child.

A girl more or so.

Her skin craved cuddles. Her body craved the rocking sensation of being carried by her mother. The outcome was the same as every other time she cried. She was ignored, as her mother went about the place, doing chores, and cleaning up.

She screamed.

The scream was pain put into the ears of anyone who had the misfortune of witnessing the meltdown, and for anyone who cared enough to put an end to it.

She screamed and she wailed, and she screamed and she wailed, and she screamed and she wailed, and she screamed, and she--

Footsteps echoed in the snow behind her as little tiptoes trudged through the snowy plants.

Her tears dried when she spotted who it was, and was instead replaced with a giddy smile.

Around his shoulders was his green baby quilt, worn as a superhero cape. He had eyes that shone like grass during the spring, and a smile that could make anyone swoon, even the ones still rocking diapers.

Not to mention the dimples he had on both cheeks. His killer dimples.

A single Emerald green ring sat on his finger. He made one motion to her. A playful motion. A single sweep of his fingers, 'cmere' they seemed to say, and that was all it took for her to chase him on and off into the distance.

She giggled after him, stumbling all over, and into the snow, but still somehow managed to keep up with his strides.

And then a blink.

Footsteps thumped up the stairs.

Blood

A gunshot

He laid unmoving, a large open wound on his rib.

More blood

She was covered in blood

Callie panicked, she ran to the sink and didn't even flinch as the cold water erupted, and ran down her arms.

She lifted her sleeves, scrubbing at her skin.

Red

It wouldn't come off. The red couldn't come off.

She scrubbed it harder, her nails leaving scrape marks and small gashes in her skin. God.

It wouldn't come off.

The blood wouldn't come off, the gunshot wouldn't stop replaying over and over in her mind. God, she couldn't... It was too much blood for her.

It was too much blood.

''Lisa?''

She froze, coming out of her trance.

The blood was gone, her forearms wet, her sleeves soaked, although she had rolled them.

Alec stepped over towards her and the puddle of water she had made on the floor.

She let out a shaky, but relieved breath, stepping into his arms as he allowed her, and relishing in his warmth. ''Alec.'' She said, voice small and nearly on the verge of breaking. She swallowed. ''There was blood...so much blood.''

He stroked her hair, pressing his nose against the nape of her neck.

''But, it's gone. It's all gone.'' She whispered, looking down at her wet hands.