Blood for blood - Chapter 18

JOHN lit a cigarette, putting it in his mouth and inhaling lightly, while holding the flame of the lighter to the tip for a moment to heat

JOHN lit a cigarette, putting it in his mouth and inhaling lightly, while holding the flame of the lighter to the tip for a moment to heat. He tore the lighter away and gave it a few fierce, brief draws until it was well lit.

He absolutely hated smoking, and couldn't understand why Carter did it so very often. To him, smoking felt like suffocating. Like the smoke was wrapping his lungs in a fiery blanket of smoke, and toxins. His lungs felt black just from the little smoke he had inhaled, not to mention It almost always left a bad taste in his mouth.

Still, he took a few long, slow draws of the cigarette and slowly blew the smoke out of his mouth and nose.

He was absolutely stressed, and though cigarettes sucked in his opinion. They still served as a good mental distraction from everything.

Carter took in a deep drag, from his cancer stick, having joined him in a smoke break a couple of minutes after he originally came out there. He stood leaned up against the brick in the wall,

''You good?'' He asked.

''Yeah,'' John sighed. Combing his fingers through his hair, as if it were an actual brush. ''Just stressed out of my mind.''

Carter said nothing, waiting for him to further elaborate.

''It's - '' An exhale. ''Nothing. Just work and whatnot.''

Carter shot him a curious look from the corner of his eyes, but let it go regardless.

His silence bothered John, so he felt the need to fill it. ''It's just,'' Jarvis. ''Chief.'' He half-lied, half told the truth. ''He's been giving me crap about not catching the crims, and not being good enough and all that crap, and he's - '' He stomped out his cigarette, unable to hold back his anger. ''He's holding my job over my head.''

''Chief Rambsly can suck my balls. That man's old and dried up, and leaves all his officers to do his dirty work.'' The other gritted out, enticing a laugh out of John. Though Carter made no sign of regretting his words.

Instead he looked at him through earnest eyes.''And for what it's worth,'' He bit his lip to keep it from curling upwards. ''I think you're a great detective.''

Something twinkled in John's eyes, something that had Carter leaning towards him almost immediately--

''Detectives!''

''Ah.'' Carter grumbled out in irritation. ''What is it, Junior?''

Junior - a cute ginger with a partial overbite - swallowed anxiously, ''I'm sorry. Am I interrupting?''

John and Carter shot each other similar looks, before John shook his head. ''No. What were you saying?''

''Someone just left a massive tip about the identity of Callista's accomplice in the murder case! He matches the exact description security cameras picked up at the back of the Diamond Unicorn!''

Both detectives perked up at that. ''Really? Who?''

''His name's Alec Baldwin!''

They deflated. ''The beetlejuice guy? You sure you're not gettin' punked, kid?'' Carter deadpanned.

''No, this Alec Baldwin was a fostered son of the Baldwin's.'' Junior explained.

''Are any of them still alive?''

''Both, and they live in Canada. I believe he's heading there now, actually.''

Carter looked like he had finally caught the break of the century, grinning from ear to ear, and even dancing a little bit. ''This is why I love you, Junior, you cute little redhead.'' He put his cigarette out, ignoring the boy's flushed cheeks. ''You get them on the phone right away,'' He commanded sternly.

''Right away, sir,''

John shot Carter a weird, oddly disgusted look after he left. ''Cute little redhead?''

Carter shot him an amused look, tapping him on the shoulder. ''Jealous?''

He scoffed. ''Whatever, I'm gonna go tell chief the news.''

His lips curled upwards, the second his back was turned.

Jarvis would be happy to hear this.

Because whenever Alec thought he was ahead, police was always two steps further.