Blood for blood - Chapter 40

''I think you two should head to the Southern Border

''I think you two should head to the Southern Border.'' Lana suggested, causing both of their eyes to jump to her. ''Because if half the entire town is after you two, then that means they'll likely catch you at airports, or Traffic stops, and that's assuming they know your faces, because it's plastered practically everywhere.''

''I agree.'' Alec said, causing both girls to raise their eyebrows. He was usually the one to point out the flaws in their plan, and call them stupid in the most intellectual ways possible.

''But how would we get there?'' Callie asked. ''Like Lana said, we'll be recognized at airports, and I'm sure there's officers pulling everyone over at every corner, trying to see if their harboring us.''

''Then we go on foot.'' He voiced, clasping his hands together. ''We've already been on foot once and we almost got caught. They wouldn't expect us to still be traveling on foot.''

''Okay... but the Southern Border Is pretty far away.'' Her face fixed in a grimace. ''I mean far, far away, and my feet . . . and me, isn't too keen of walking.''

''I can drive you guys.'' Lana piped in, taking a bite of her burnt and blackened toast, that she claimed was supposed to look like that. ''I mean, I know my car doesn't go too fast, and it sucks. I hate it, really.''

They waited for the 'but'

''But -- ''

There it was.

'' -- it's a good car, and I wouldn't trade it for my life. Because really, if you think about it. What criminal would be riding in a Minivan? No criminal. Because they're too caught up on the rich lifestyle, and they have to be seen fledding in a Mustang, or a Benz. And also - ''

It was Alec who cut her off. ''We get your point and all, but what we really need to discuss, is where we are going once we cross the border.'' He said. ''We can't just cross it, and stand around. We need to figure out where we'll be staying and hiding out, until things cool down.''

''I really don't get it.'' Callie stated. ''How we have to hide from everyone when we did nothing wrong.'' She snapped. ''We shouldn't be the ones hiding away, we should be finding somebody who can prove we're innocent.''

''We have Leo.''

''Can we even trust Leo? For all we know, he can be setting us up, and sending the police or FBI or whatever to us as we speak.''

''Leo's been friends with my family for years.'' Alec told her seriously, arms crossed. ''I know for a fact we can trust him.''

''You know, it's always the ones closest to you, you have to look out for.''

His gaze landed on a perplexed Lana. ''We trusted her blindly, how do we know we can trust her?''

''Because she recognized us previously.'' Callie exasperated. ''And didn't rat us out.''

''How do you know she didn't rat us out, she could be planning a secret mission with the FBI.''

Callie scoffed, her eyes narrowed. ''You sound ridiculous.''

He shrugged. ''I'm just saying, you can't talk about not trusting someone I've known almost my whole life, and then trust a stranger blindly just based off her words.''

He did have a point, Callie thought. Not like she'd tell him that though. Even though they still argued more than the typical pair of siblings, and acted towards each other differently, she still felt as if their talk the night prior had brought them closer to each other.

And though he probably wouldn't admit it, with his pride and such, she knew he thought so too. Now all she needed to do was get her feelings together, and they could make this journey to the border in a breeze.

She found his studying eyes on her the second she looked up, as if he knew exactly what she was thinking about, when she was thinking about it, and after a second, she smiled, and from what it looked like, with his lips twitching upwards in the slightest, he smiled back.

They didn't need anyone else to make the journey with, except for each other. They could continuously escape the corrupt police's clutches, and even the criminals after them, and stay on the run for as long as they would be, as long as they had each other.

''Hello!'' Lana waved a hand in their faces. ''Are you guys listening about the plan? I was asking what I would do when you guys cross? Do I wait for you guys? Do I come with?''

''About that,'' Callie started. ''I wouldn't want you getting into any more trouble than you are by hiding us here. So, you'll just leave, go on with your normal life.''

''Well, that sounded less boring in the way I planned it out in my head.''

''I'm sorry.'' She said, ''We just don't want you to get into trouble with the law while were gone,''

''So that's it? Once you guys leave, you leave, leave?''

''Yeah, we find somewhere far, and settle down for a bit once we cross. At least until we can decide what to do from there. We just need to figure out when we leave, and how, because if the FBI is the one after us, and if their really as smart as Leo says, then we don't have much time before they find out where we are.'' Alec said.

Callie nodded in agreement. ''They're probably tracking us as we speak.''

''Then we have no time to lose.'' Alec said. He glanced at Lana. ''How fast can you get us to the border in your minivan?''

Lana did the calculations in her head. ''If we leave in the next fifteen-and-a-half minutes, I think I can get you guys there within the next three-and-a-half hours, I think.'' She said.

They weren't too happy with how long it'd take, but they didn't have much of a choice in the matter, considering they needed her to get them there regardless.