Blood for blood - Chapter 32

HE was dragged by the collar of his chest, and slammed into the hard and rocky surface of the wall

HE was dragged by the collar of his chest, and slammed into the hard and rocky surface of the wall. Receiving punch, after punch, after punch, to his jaw.

''Please.'' John begged, but he didn't stop there, no. He sent his knee into his side, causing him to double over in pain.

His saliva, along with his blood, dripped down his chin and lips, as he moaned in pain. ''I tried.'' He attempted. ''I really tried.''

But right now, his brother wasn't in the mood to hear his explanation. He was simply angry, and dangerous, and needed someone to use as a punching bag. Which, in this case was John Smith.

He pulled his right arm back, and slammed it into his nose, his mouth, his eye, which was on the verge of swelling shut.

And only, did he stop his violent acts, when his brother began vomiting blood.

His eyes flashed, and lost its murderous edge, but still held anger.

''I . . . I tried,'' John sniveled, on the ground, attempting to use his shirt as a bandage for the blood.''T -- to talk Carter down from the job, and I did... talk to Carter... but when I asked, he said he was already stepping down from the case, Chief's order.'' He explained in between heavy grunting breaks.

Jarvis rolled his eyes at his dramatics, and gingerly handed him a tissue, gesturing for him to go on.

''I asked Chief about it, and he said... he said it wasn't only Carter who was ordered to step down. It was the entire police station.'' He said. ''He told us, that under the President's orders, that the police were to step down,''

He dabbed at the blood oozing out both nostrils, quickly abandoning the useless, and blood-soaked tissue. ''The president is having the FBI take over, and by the time I got to my desk, to retrieve the case, 'cause I thought it was stupid, it had already been confiscated by the FBI.''

Jarvis rounded his desk, and took a seat in his leathery swivel chair.

''The FBI took over, and is using our building, and desks, to try and locate the suspects.'' He finished, wobbly bringing himself to his feet.

Jarvis' stare burned through him. ''Well, certainly you're thinking of something, right? A way around it of some sort.''

''A way around it, Jarvis? Do you hear yourself? Their the FBI. They've already taken it out of our hands, and there's nothing we can do about it.''

''Well you better, find a way around it. Because I don't know Carter, or what he does, but I know he means an awful lot to you, and if killing Carter means that you'll work your hardest to solve the investigation before they do, then I'll do it in a heartbeat.'' He stated calmly, though John could hear the underlying warning in his tone.

He swallowed.

''I promise you, John. You have twenty-four hours to find a way around it or,'' He brought his hands together, by the silvery pistol on his desk. ''I'll kill him in a heartbeat.'' He threatened. ''I'll kill all of them.''

John dug his fingernails into his skin, feeling the apprehension build up in the pit of his stomach. He knew there would not be a way around it, and he knew that Jarvis would kill Carter regardless, just to say he did it. And that was why he'd warn Carter.

He'd warn all of them in time, but his main priority was Carter.

Who he could not bear seeing get killed because of him.

''I won't let you down.'' He promised Jarvis, his fingers crossed behind his back, and his toes.

''I know you won't.'' Jarvis said. ''Now get out of my sight.''

John still had his fingers crossed as he walked out the building. If he was going to protect Carter, he'd have to tell Carter everything.

From the fact he was working with the bad guys of the operation, to his undenying feelings for the other, to the fact he had framed both Callie, and Alec, for Jarvis, when he knew they were innocent.

He sighed.

This would be a hard conversation, and he could only hope that Carter would be understanding, instead of immediately calling the cops on him, and confessing everything he had said.

Another breath.

One step at a time.