Blood for blood - Chapter 25

HELL broke loose

HELL broke loose.

In an instant, Cliff had hit the floor, face first, lying in a pool of his own blood.

Eilene screamed out, jumping to defend her husband, but was aggressively shoved aside by the man's partner.

Aaron and Ronald jumped in, both forces, and large builds clashing with the one.

The loaded gun clacked to the floor, and it was all a battle of muscle and arm strength.

Leo ran over to Callie and Alec, pushing the duffel into their arms, with the hand that wasn't holding a gun. ''Take the bag and go!'' He shouted with urgency.

Alec passed the bag on to Callie, and ran into the crossfire, picking up the fallen gun, and his fallen mother, and popping the two men without batting an eye.

Reinforcements came, bearing MP5's, rifles, and semi-automatics, and it was obvious that none of these men were police. They had to be working with Jarvis, because as soon as one of them set their cold eyes on her, she seemed to be the direct target of all their bullets.

All they seemed to be thinking about was the payout they'd receive after killing her.

A chill went down her spine when she saw the hungry look in his eyes, as if he was a lion, looking at a juicy and helpless baby gazelle, the reward would be promising.

He turned the barrel of his gun towards her, but instead of her getting shot down, like she anticipated. She found herself getting tackled to the floor, looking up and finding herself staring into a chest, and a certain pair of sea blue eyes.

Leo rolled off her, reloading his gun. ''Why is it that none of you mendoza's ever listen to me?''

She clutched her chest, her back pressed against the kitchen's counter. Her heart was beating fast.

She froze-

Mendoza's? Plural?

''What do you mean by that?'' She asked him.

He took on a stupefied look, as if he hadn't even realized what he had said.

''Did you know my parents?'' She demanded. ''Were you working with, Jarvis?''

''All great questions, Callie, but I'm in the middle of a shootout right now, try asking them later.''

She crawled over to his side, peeking her head around the corner. ''You said 'Mendoza's' Leo. Did you know my parents or -- ''

She was pulled back into his chest, just as a bullet whizzed by her head. Her eyes were wide.

''Look,'' He said, looking at her through pretty blue eyes. ''Stay here. I'm gonna go and find your brother.''

It wasn't until he rounded the corner, that it occurred to her what he had said.

I'm gonna go and find your brother