Chapter 6; Perfection

~

That night Ambrose was called up by her father to his room.

The girl knew what it was going to be about. She didn't really mind it a lot, mostly because she didn't care but also because there was no point arguing with her father.

She knocked the door a few rooms away from hers, anxiously waiting for a response before a deep voice resounded from inside, 'come in.'

The door was forced open by her, not ready enough to confront her dad just yet. Slowly making her way further, she sat down on a chair, opposite to the one he was sitting on. A small table was set between them, the only grateful distance.

"So you've been exploring Dubai lately, right?" He asked, not meeting eyes with her as he continued staring down the glass pane, the city lights coming in view.

"Yeah, I mean. I thought I should make use of the time I have here.." She spoke softly, trying to sound reasonable.

"I see that. But don't you think you're growing too close to that Ian guy of yours?" His piercing gaze turned to her, taking in notice the look of disbelief on her face.

"Dad, he-"

" Leave it, it's not important right now. I know it's your life, you make decisions. Yeah yeah, cool. But make sure you don't lose control over the company. Such distractive behaviours will soon become a barrier." Her father uttered, as if it was the most obvious thing to say.

She stared at him with a gaze full of uncertainty and astonishment.
"What do you even mean by that? How did the company even enter the scene. I'm doing pretty well, don't you think so?"

"You are. However, you need to control your socializing for a while. Especially matters of stupid love and fondness you kids have for each other. Stay away from it all." He cleared his point, warning his unfazed daughter.

She let out a sarcastic smile,
"Do you really not trust me at all? I have a very platonic friendship with Ian. He's my best friend. And even if I ever fall in love with someone, how is it related to the company?" She spoke, annoyance radiating off her tone.

"I can't trust you with my company when you're going around having such emotional ups and downs."

"I'm sorry? Emotional ups and downs? You mean speaking the truth?" She chuckled, totally caught off guard by her dad's assumptions.

"Ambrose Bechtel. You do not give me that attitude. You do realise that you have a cousin who can easily replace you from the position of the CEO, right?" He uttered with a threatening glare.

"Just because he's a guy?" She questioned back, expression hardening.

"Just because he's a guy. You know how this family is. I brought in a change in our family's morals and values by uplifting you and giving you a chance to lead the company. I had my selfish reasons, I wanted my own blood to take over the company and not the stupid son of my stupid brother.

But you do realise that you'll have to prove yourself to this family and to the world. If you fail in doing so, another daughter of this family won't be able to take over this position ever again. You are special and you need to show it to them."

Ambrose could do nothing but sigh at her dad's words. The same arguments every single time. It was all so frustrating. She was clearly so much more capable than her cousin brother and everyone could see that. How could she make sure that everything goes perfectly well? Of course life has its ups and downs. Her company has them too. But apparently, she's not allowed to make a mistake or else, she would be ripped apart from the position she held.