Chapter 28; Safe Place

~

It is said that a perfectly happy life doesn't exist.

Well, this statement could be proven wrong in the case of the young budding CEOs who had been living their best life for the past few months.

Their newly developing relationship was working pretty well, definitely better than their expectations. Beautiful and cosy moments, amazing days spent together. It was all such a great new start for their love life.

There was, however, one problem. Their profession. This profession tied them to their work ceaselessly and they would barely ever get to spend time with each other. Even though the little time they spent with each other was worth it all and better than any other moment of their life, it couldn't be ignored that the business life was bothersome at times.

Like right now, Nathaniel was in Japan for the proposal of a project. A very important and prestigious one. On the other hand, Ambrose couldn't pay attention to her daily routine work because of his absence for the past week.

It was unusual and irksome. They had been to business trips before, sometimes together, sometimes with each other. However, they were never too long and infuriating. This one was especially annoying.

She couldn't help but miss him utterly, every other hour of the day. They did have some talks on call with each other these past days but it was never enough. She had to see him physically to finally forget about her exhaustion.

It was another upsetting day without him as she got into the car, ready to drive back home. No expressions or outlook in particular, just weirdly tired out of her wits.

She had barely made it about two kilometres when abruptly and unexpectedly, her car stopped. What just happened?

She tried to restart it again but failed nevertheless. It had turned a lot darker, the evening suddenly transforming into the star studded night sky, dark grey clouds . A groan of annoyance left her mouth as she got out with a sigh, checking what was wrong.

Was it something with the tyres or the engine? They were all assumptions and before the girl could begin to test any of those, she felt some movement behind her. Her breath hitched, heartbeat accelerating violently.

She turned around to have a look at who or what it was but found no one, frown deepening. Goodness, it was too classic. Lone girl stuck with a broken car with no one around. Not a good time to be a damsel in distress.

Just then, she felt footsteps behind her. They were too loud, as if coming from fashionable boots. She was quite shaken up to comprehend any of that, eyes directed towards the ground as she tried her very best to not turn around.

"Who's it?" She asked, visibly scared. Her hands were slightly trembling, not knowing what fate she would meet from this moment.

The footsteps only grew closer if anything, surprising her further. There was no way this was happening, right? Oh no, this wouldn't end well. She anxiously pondered over the thought before taking forth a step, slightly away from the person.

"I asked who you are."

No, the person didn't stop. And once she felt that the footsteps had gotten way too close for a safe distance and about inches away from her, she turned around defensively ready for the supposed battle. The anxiousness in her head and the erratic beating of her heart slowed down the moment she saw his face.

Oh my god, this boy was gonna have it today.

"Nathaniel! What the fuck is wrong with you? Why did you do that? I was so fucking scared, you asshole! I hate you so much!" She yelled, her face turning red from all the annoyance. Her hands had stopped their trembling by now, passing the property over to her voice.