Epilogue

Thank you guys so much for all the lovely comments (not on the last two chaps no). I love u guys so so so much and i appreciate u for ending this book with me today. I can't believe i spent a whole year and a month writing a wattpad book (my mum would be both proud and disappointed). I hope u guys have a GREAT summer. Imma go cry now.

Third person's point of view.

Butterflies have always been a symbolic representation of freedom to Luella.

Not because they can fly wherever they want, but because they have the ability to do so. No one judges them for it. Four whole weeks of them being in their own shell, readying themselves to come out. No one expects anything of them. No one really pays attention, until they come out of that shell.

Luella has always taken that as a relatable statement for the way she lives her life. When she's in her room, no one expects her to do anything, to be anything. She's Luella there, all alone, whether in her small mind or not, she's not the Luella everyone wants to make out of her, and that's why she's so fond of always staying there; always being expected to do nothing.

However, it was not how she wished it to be. After all, life isn't so fair, and to Luella; it's always been cruel.

Luella always wished to be a butterfly when she was young. When she learned their cycle throughout fourth grade, they became her new comfort animal. A small creature that she found fond of their freedom.

Luella never wanted to fly, she simply wanted to be free.

With wings or not, Luella would watch butterflies swarm in happy places in their own home. She was always jealous, how they weren't expected to go to school, to mature, to plan their future out ahead of time. It seemed to fill the mind of the innocent nine year old.

"Dad, can I have a butterfly for my birthday?" The young girl asks her dad who sits on the bench of the half empty park.

"Butterflies can't be pets, sweetheart." Her father had answered calmly, looking at her in curiousity at such the weird question.

"Why not? It can stay in my room, I promise I'll take care of it." The little girl pleaded, standing in front of her parent.

"Why the sudden interest in butterflies? I can get you a dog." Alberto furrowed his eyebrows.

"Dogs are ugly. Butterflies have cute, tiny wings." Luella exclaimed, closing in on her index finger and her thumb when explaining to her dad, squinting her eyes. "They start off as a small egg and grow to be a caterpillar, then a pupa, and eventually they get out with pretty wings." She throws her hands up in the air at the mention of wings, trying to describe it to her dad.

"Ah, how wonderful." The father listens to his daughter with attention.

"Yes! Butterflies are beautiful." Luella hops down on the bench. "I wanna be as beautiful as a butterfly."

"You're already beautiful." Alberto runs his hand down his young girl's hair, kissing the top of her head. "Minus the butterfly part, though."

"So, can we get it now?" She smiles cheerfully, hoping for her father's approval.

"Ask me when you're eighteen." He had answered, making the girl's eyebrows frown. Before she gets to argue and defend her statement, she hears her older brother yelling out.

"I caught a butterfly, ella!" Thomas interrupts their conversation, sprinting towards them both.

Luella jumps off the bench in excitement, but by the time they both meet up across the park, the creature is flying away from the little boy's hands.