Prompt #63

A.N.- So this wasn't a requested prompt, but I wanted to do it. It's Ethan and Mary's mother-son dance on Ethan and Will's wedding night :)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

                The DJ turned the volume of the music down, picking up his microphone. Everyone looked up at him expectantly.

                "And now, the traditional mother-son dance!" he announced.

                Will was holding my hand under the table. He looked incredibly sexy in his black tuxedo, and the wedding ring sitting on his finger kept catching my attention. It had really happened. I had really put that ring on his finger this afternoon. We had really gotten married today.

                "Ethan, and his mother Mary, will start us off," the DJ said, and everyone began to clap as I stood up, Will's fingers slowly sliding from mine. He smiled at me, and I returned it nervously.

                I was not okay with this whole everyone watching me dance thing. Mine and Will's first dance had been a little easier, since we had held each other, moving around the dance floor, whispering to each other, forgetting the room of people before us.

                My mom came up to me, looking beautiful in a navy blue dress, her hair done specially for the wedding. She held her hand out to me and I took it, walking onto the dance floor with her.

                The music started up, soft and comforting. Mom and I put our arms around each other, swaying on the dance floor together as camera flashes went off.

                "I love you so much, Ethan. I'm so happy for you. You look so handsome," she whispered, eyeing me. I was wearing a white tuxedo that fit me extremely well.

                "I look sexy," I corrected.

                "I can't believe my baby boy is married," she said, eyes misted over with unshed tears. "I can still remember the day you were born. God, I loved you so much. I still do. I always will. I loved you from the moment I found out I was pregnant with you. I'd always wanted a daughter, but when they told me I was having a son, I was thrilled. And then I held you in my arms for the first time...I could never love a human as much as I loved you." She hugged me, stroking my hair lightly.

                "I love you mom. Thanks for being so supportive. You know, of me marrying a man," I said.        

                "Ethan, you are happy. Will makes you happy. Of course I support that," she said, holding my hands as I twirled her lightly to the music. "Oh, Ethan. My little Ethan."

                "Mom, I'm a grown man. I'm married, I have an apartment, I have a job...I'm not your little Ethan," I said gently.

                "You are though, Ethan. You always will be. You make me so proud," she said, and wiped at her eyes, laughing a little in embarrassment. "So damn proud, Ethan. I'm so glad you're happy. You deserve happiness."

                "Who knew happiness would come in the form of a moody guy with an inconvenient name," I said, smiling a little. "And now, here we are, at my wedding reception, my moody husband watching me dance badly with my emotional mother."

                "I hope you and Will grow old together," she said, hugging me again. "I hope you have a nice little family, and fall in love with each other over and over again."

                "I hope so too. And I hope it doesn't involve me getting left out in the rain every time," I said.

                Our song was coming to an end, and I hugged my mom tightly. I knew everyone in the room was watching us, including my dad. But I tried to block them out as I buried my face against my mom's neck.

                "You were such a sweet little boy. But you were always so lonely. It broke my heart. But my heart is swelling with happiness today," mom said, kissing my head, rubbing her hand up and down my back soothingly.

                "I love you so much that I'm making a sappy fool out of myself," I mumbled, closing my eyes.

                The song ended, and mom and I hugged each other so hard it almost hurt. People were clapping and cheering for us, and we pulled away from each other, smiling.

                "Congratulations, Ethan Alexander Duvet," mom said, smile growing, nothing but love and joy and pride in her eyes. "I love you."

                "I love you too," I said, kissing her cheek and holding her hand, walking her off the dance floor. I looked around the room, and down at my hand held in my mother's, my wedding ring catching the light. I had never been happier in my life.