Prompt #66

Prompt- So like 3 people asked me to do one where the prompt of Ethan dying was actually a dream so...here you go!

-----------------------------------

​I sat up in bed, my heart slamming wildly. I reached up, touching my face, wiping the cold sweat away, my hands trembling viciously.

​"Ethan," I said, raking my hands through my hair.

​My head whipped around, my eyes landing on the small lump of blankets next to me. I could just barely make out the brown hair peeking out from the covers.

​"Ethan," I choked out, terrified as I reached out to touch him. What if he didn't move? What if he was really gone?

​I peeled the blankets back, staring at Ethan, my heart picking up even more as his body gently rose and fell with his breaths. He was curled up on my bed, topless, eyes closed. He looked scrawny and a little sickly, like he always did.

​"Ethan," I whispered, reaching out and touching him with a trembling hand. He was real. He was here. He was alive. It had just been a dream. A horrible dream.

​I threw my arms around him, gathering his body against me. He jerked away, eyes snapping open.

​"Will?" he said, voice thick with sleep. "Will, what's wrong?"

​I hugged him even tighter. He was alive. He was fine. He hadn't died from his allergy. I didn't have to go through life without him. He was right here in my arms, breathing, talking, real, alive.

​"Will, what's wrong?" Ethan repeated, putting his arms around me. "I know your love for me is overwhelming, but honestly, it's the middle of the night."

​I picked my head up. "I love you," I said. "I love you so much, Ethan."

​"I love you too," he said, looking confused.

​I couldn't help myself as I burst into tears, hugging him close again, burying my face against his neck. I never wanted to live without this sarcastic asshole.

​"Will," Ethan said in surprise. He hugged me, running his hand up and down my back comfortingly.

​"You were dead," I said, voice choked by tears. "I dreamt your allergy killed you."

​"I dreamt I used a goat as a surfboard," Ethan said. "So clearly, we had very different dreams."

​"You're an asshole." I kissed him hard, so hard that we fell back on my bed together. He kissed me back. I closed my eyes, memorizing the feel of his lips against mine, the way his hands moved to grip at my hair and shoulders.

​"Easy," he mumbled against my lips. "Your sister will kill us if we wake her up again."

​He reached out, wiping at my eyes. I was too relieved to even be embarrassed right now. He was alive. He was being sarcastic and kissing me and god dammit he was alive and I was happy and hopelessly in love with him.

​"Hey," he said, giving me a cute smile. I loved his smile. I never wanted to live without him in my life. I wanted to see him smile forever. "I'm alive. I'm not dying anytime soon. Well, I hope I'm not dying anytime soon. I know I'm careless about my allergy a lot, but if it makes you feel better, you can check my food until you stop freaking out over the idea of me dying."

​"I love you," I repeated, keeping my arms around him, kissing him again. "I really do, Ethan."

​"I love you too. And you'll probably threaten me to never speak of tonight again once you calm down. But for now..." He coaxed me into lying down, and began to run his hand through my hair. "Go back to sleep. I'm alive. I'm right here."

​"Keep talking." I was terrified to close my eyes, terrified of having that nightmare again.

​Ethan began to talk about what we would do today. His voice mixed with him stroking my hair helped me ease my eyes closed, hugging his waist as my head rested in his lap. I found myself drifting off to the sound of his voice, hoping that I never took Ethan for granted and praying that I never lost him for real.